1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Sides are Enough??

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by VulcanB2, 27/12/07.

1. VulcanB2

VulcanB2

unitedkingdom
    This is annoying. :(

The blue cylinder comprises 18 sides. How many sides are enough?! The light reflection looks OK, but where the model meets the world, it isn't. :(

It isn't a big deal to redo the blue cylinder, but the tail is heavily molded to give the correct look. It obviously looks wrong, too, when you can see the background against it.

Is this something I'm going to have to put up with, or a result of a too few sided model??

How many sides are enough??

[​IMG]

Best regards,
    Robin.
  2. MarkkuS

MarkkuS

sweden
    Hi!
    How long is a string? :)
  3. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    I use somewhere between 24 and 48 sides for round objects. I start with 48 sides, then dial it down to as few as necessary to maintin the proper "roundness" for the size of the object.

Always use an even number to maintain symmetry... ;)
  4. VulcanB2

VulcanB2

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

I settled on 30 for this one. Since it is only apparent at an angle, I just kept going until it looked right, without going crazy. :)

Will do! :)

Best regards,
    Robin.
  5. Brian Franklin

Brian Franklin

unitedkingdom
    I use no less than 32 for large objects like aircraft fuselage and less for smaller things. Reading Bill's reply I think that anything in this general area seems OK; just depends on how accutare and pleasing to look at you want the model.

Brian
  6. Waugh

Waugh

us-kentucky
    Use as many as it takes, and not a single one more except to make it even. =)

What you are noticing is that smoothing can't fix the way it appears at the edge. Just use more polys on a big thing like this that is highly visible and obvious.