1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to add droppable objects

Discussion in 'Mission Development' started by Ripcord, 19/1/10.

1. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Are there specific aircraft that can drop flour bombs or can any aircraft drop them? If so, how to configure aircraft to drop objects like flour bombs?

I used Jim Keir's FSX ME and I added 10 flour bombs to my aircraft, but I am not dropping anything in the sim.

regards,

Ripcord
  2. Horst18519

Horst18519 Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

germany
    You can attach the droppable payload to any aircraft. Just take a look at for example the flour bomb mission sample to learn how to do it.
  3. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Thorsten, thanks. I got it, I just failed to attach my "add droppable objects" node to the timer.

Trying to drop flour bombs into a baseball stadium, just as a test mission.

Ripcord
  4. Horst18519

germany
    STRIKE! :p
  5. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Exactly -- swing and a miss!

For some reason, I am not getting a successful 'hit' to register. I have set up a 400 x 400 meter rectangle area and set lat/long right where the park is. Should be plenty large enough. That didn't work for whatever reason. Then I tried attaching that to an AI ground object, such as an orange bus place right in the stadium, and that didn't work either. I am pouring those flour sacks in there, but no luck.

I really thought the lat/long position would be the best way to accomplish this, but no luck. How does that rectangle area position itself in relation to the lat/long coordinates? Is that lat/long point the center of the rectangle, or is it one of the corners?

Ripcord
  6. Horst18519

germany
    I'm sure the area is just fine, but the trigger isn't. You need to specify reference to which object is triggering it (see SDK). By default this is the player, but you want the bombs to trigger it obviously.
  7. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Actually I think I got that part right -- I copied it over from the Flour Bomb sample mission in the SDK. It should be triggered when the Flour Bomb enters the rectangle.

But that is OK, I will test it again in another area, free of other objects (like stadiums) and see if that makes a difference.

Ripcord

EDIT -- maybe I need to activate the rectangle area as a point of interest?
    Last edited: 20/1/10
  8. Horst18519

germany
    No, just place the area and don't forget to use a proximity trigger that stays activated. ;)
  9. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    By staying activated, I guess you mean the proximity trigger should be set for ONE SHOT = FALSE right, and ACTIVATED = TRUE ? Should be right, I copied it over from the Flour Bomb mission.

Ripcord
  10. Horst18519

germany
    Exactly. And don't forget to add a dialog action (with acptioning activated) so you can immediately see if the trigger fired.
  11. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    I cannot get this to work. I attach a 400 x 400 meter rectangle area to a CG cutter in the ocean now, and fly right over that ship, drop all 10 flour bombs and nothing. How can you not hit a 400 x 400 meter area at 1000 feet? Copied the nodes right out of the Flour Power mission, everything set the same. Quite maddening really.

Ripcord
  12. Horst18519

germany
    Make sure you're above the area. If you drop it and are already within the area the trigger might not fire.
  13. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Yes, I also considered that, and so I reset the altitude of the area to 10 meters.

EDIT: I found some other threads that suggest that I give the area a little bit of altitude, at least a few feet, so that ground objects do not interfere. I did that, but that is not really my problem -- nothing is triggering this. So I agree something is wrong with my trigger, but I can't find what it might be.

Activated = True
    Latched = False
    One Shot = False
    Object Filter = Anything
    OnEnter Filter = 0 refs
    OnExit Filter = 0 refs
    OnEnter Condition ---> [Title] = Flour_bomb
    OnExit Condition = blank
    OnExit Actions = 0 refs
    Areas = Area_Target_01 (attached)

I really am feeling stupid here, because this cannot be that hard.

Ripcord

UPDATE : It worked finally.

1. I changed Latched to TRUE, but not sure what this does or if it had any effect.
    2. Opened OPT and found that my trigger area was in China (I was in San Diego), so the E-W settings for area clearly have some nuances and need to be checked.
    3. Reattached the trigger area to the CG ship again, and somehow it worked. Also noticed that my 500 x 500 meter area looked quite a lot smaller than I anticipated.

OK, now it is time for a cold beer to celebrate this achievement. Maybe next weekend we'll learn to drop something other than flour bombs.
    Last edited: 23/1/10