1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get object into FsX library?

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by hesynergy, 28/2/07.

1. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky
    I'm re-creating my Lago Gmax stuff

And you ask about obj placer?....I've looked everywhere on how to include my Gmax mdl/xml files into the FsX library so I can do Lago-like One time placement. My attempt to place a bridge(real) obj I created in Gmax then exported(fs2004 gamepack...but created in fs2002 gamepack for Lago insertion into FSE). My Afcad21 airstrip(virtual K69) in the back field was manipulatible . I was trying to adjust the height of K69's slope to apron to abutt with the bridge end, since the apron of 03 is 20 feet away from the east side of the bridge. All of this sits on top of SRTM derived 10 M lod 11 Kentucky mesh I created a couple of years ago.

If I'd been able to use Lago OR the fsx Object placer by somehow getting the object into the FsX library....insert...Place....done!....any tips on how to get a gmax obj into the fsX library?

Enclosed are fs9.1 scenery imported and placed with Lago ....[​IMG]
    and my FsX attempts so far to import from 2004 gamepack mdl/xml objects into FsX...
    Attached below(couldn't figure out how to duplicate img insertion into text again), is about the 25th iteration of TRYING to place the {)(Y=09qyu0=98!! BRIDGE by copying fsx coordinates into the xml file and recompiling,adjust, recompile,adjust,etc,etc.......and it's still not right...in Lago...or Object placer (IF THE MDL/xml/bgl were in the )(*)(*$~(* FsX Library)!!!..I would choose the )(*+#)(*+!)(ing thing, place it, rotate, elevate,lower it in less than a minute.
    FSX objects at the farm.jpg
    So if you click the thumbnail above, you'll see my last attemp with no +_)_*^_(*^'ing Ultimate Terrain roads to go by.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....or object placer to assist....as you can see I've lost the lower three pillar's texture somewhere...still looking for it....double grrrrrrrrrr...

thanks,

Chas
    Last edited: 28/2/07
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Chas,

Just create a library BGL with the XML code or use the alpha version of my Library Creator XML 2.0. Once you have put your MDL in the library BGL, it is visible in the Object Placement tool of FsX.

There is only a small bug in the tool, that makes it show up with the GUID and not with the friendly name. So that makes it a little harder to find it in the list.
  3. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky
    ok...lemme play dummy here....It looks like:
    1. Arno developed this before the fsX Object Placement Tool(OPT) was made available.
    2.if not, why was it developed?
    3. does he...hmmm...sorry Arno...Did you develop library creator to work with this?...or to work with OPT?...it appears that the library creator read in the FsX library...AND allows our own Gmax created objects to be included...yes?

I've put several of my Gmax objects into fsX but they were made with the fs2004 gamepack and created a mdl & xml set. I just discovered the fsX gamepack and it only turns out an mdl(I understand that the guid is internal...yes?)....so..what makes the fsx mdl better than the fs2004 mdl?..

Help me out here...I can't figger out what library creator xml is supposed to do for me besides coalesce different objects I've created in Gmax to...insert into fsX?...fs9?....I've read over the pdf's and I guess I'm blind, but there is no explicit intro in the pdf that says..."this program will :
    1. create scenery for fsX via a collection of xmls and mdl files and ;
    2.allow you to place them in your sim....
    3. and brush your teeth for you.

All I am trying to do is find a way of getting my Gmax objects to be recognized by the OPT so I can visually place them instead of doing 25 hit and miss long/lat/alt successive approximations in my pre-compiled xml to get my objects placed exactly where I want them....ala...LAGO!...or the "soon to be forthcoming"...but who knows when.. visual placement program by Konstantin Kukushkin.

Thanks for your leadership and hard work Arno!

Chas Honce

Sorry I'm so dense
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Chas,

First you might have noticed that I moved your posts to this thread. I have done that as they are not really related to the old thread you posted to. It is better to make a new thread for new questions.

Here is a quick quote from the Library Creator XML manual:

So that tell you what the tool can do. It is quite simple, but it helps you to combine different MDL objects in one single library BGL file. You can also do this by writing the needed XML code yourself, but Library Creator XML gives you a nice GUI to do the same task. That's all.

For Fs2004 MDL objects you can use the current stable release, for FsX MDL objects you need to use the version 2.0 alpha that can be found in the forum. There is no manual yet for the new version, as it is still under development.

Once you have them in an object library, your object will be visible in the Object Placement tool as long as you place the BGL in an active scenery folder. But as I wrote before, they will show up with their GUID. So that makes them slightly harder to find in the list. Both Fs2004 and FsX object library are recognised btw.

On the subject of why you want to use the new gamepack, it offers new features for FsX, like bump maps, detail maps, etc.
  5. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky
    First Arno,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I used the 2004 gamepack to create three more of my Lago (created fs2002 gamepack) objects to ;
    1. save AS fs2004 object.
    2. exported same.
    3. I used the library creator XML to contain them and make a bgl file called Knox county, see enclosed. I created the screen for OPT reference, expressly because you said that I'd have to use the guids (and even if I'd used the fsX gamepack the "friendly name" wouldn't show in this version of Library xml...yes?)
    4. as per above put the bgl in an active directory
    5. as shown in the screeny of OPT, my Guid's don't show up...am I mis-reading you?
    6. FYI I LOST the screen in fsx when in FULL screen mode and chose a standard OPT object. The screen came back when I backed out of OPT. Inn windowed mode as per the enclosed It worked...go figgure!

Thanks,

Chas

Addendum!!....I lied!!!!....the GUID WAS there but with a leading 0 and a trailing "h"....and it DID work....and I DID compile it and found my texture, put it where it belonged...and Voila!

I'm leaving this here for a bit to let OTHERS see that WE DO HAVE A SOLUTION!!...and that it takes perseverence and help from others to "git 'er done"...Thanks ARNO!!!

C

Addendum...my objects came up but with a leading 0 and a trailing h..(hex?)...thanks so much Arno!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 4/3/07
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Chas,

Good to hear you have found your objects back :).

You are right, even when you use a FsX MDL file that has a friendly name set, the Object Placement tool will only show the GUID. This is a small bug in the tool I guess, but it makes it quite hard to find your objects back. Especially if you have a lot of object libraries loaded. You are also right that the tool adds an additional 0 and the h at the end, just to confuse the user a little more :).