• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX How to make an island

Country
greece
l have been using ADE for sometime and now l would like to make an island but everything l have
found , read so far related to the subject , although tried them to the letter didn't work for me .
Is there a way to do this , that l have not seen/found ?

Thanks in advance for replies

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It would help if you explain what you tried already and which part did not work. Then we can probably help you further.

Country
greece
Hi,
Thank you for paying attention to my problem ...

Looking around the forum l read that someone had made an island with ADE , but didn't mention how .
l tried all kind of combinations of polygons with no success .
Then l noticed that most were writing that and island could only be made with SBuilder X .
l downloaded and installed SBuilderX313 and found several tutorials and proceeded as follows:

1. Drew a polygon around the position where l planned to have the island with tag "Exclude_all_water_polygons"
2. Drew a polygon outside polygon 1 with tag "Hydro_Generic_Ocean_Perennial"
3. Drew a polygon inside polygon 2 marked it as "Set as hole" , selected polygon 2 as "Parent" , polygon 3 turned transparent .
4. Selected all polygons , compiled , the CVX_Project.bgl in FSX/Add On scenery/scenery folder , Run FSX .... nothing

l even tried polygon 2 to fill to QMID11 as it has been suggested .... no island

l must be missing something somewhere

Attachments

• island.jpg
    island.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 434

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ah. You've made great progress. Part of the problem is that you think naturally, the way you should and the creators of the simulator did things backwards, probably to save a few pixels or rams of mem or something. You see water and naturally you want to fill it with land to make and island. Ok, well, the truth is, in the MSFS world, everything is land first, then the water get's added. So, the thing you are making a hole in is the water, to let the land show through. That's why I say, if you've gotten this far, you're doing great.
Here is an island I created for FSX, near the Philippines in the South China Sea. There was a default island in the wrong location that intersected the new island, which I had to remove. It's a little bit tricker that making an island where there's only water, but the situation should be similar to your close offshore location.

sendfile.php

Please download it, examine the various .bgl's in SBX and TMFviewer to see how I did it. There was much trial and error, like yours, but I am pleased with the results. I think that if you compare this island to what you've already accomplished, you'll be able to see some changes to try.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=184100

Country
greece
Thank you =rk= for sharing your fantastic island .
Unfortunately l haven't been able to identify the polygons of your project and how they have been placed in SBX .
It would help however if you could post the project file (.SBP) , if you still have it .
All l want is to find the right way to have a piece of land (island) amidst the surrounding water . As to enhancing
and beautifying it , l will have no problem thanks to ADE .

Country
greece
Thank you Rick for your trouble .
On opening your island5.SBP , l get a warning (pix1) and pressing OK l get a picture of your project with the polygons (pix2).
However after compiling and tracing CVX_island.bgl somewhere in my D: drive , l went with FSX to the position of your project ,
placed the .bgl in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder , run FSX and got (pix3) , where the existing island disappeared but the
new island was not anywhere in sight , most probably on account of the warning .
Of course you appreciate that your case is very different of mine . Your project is in a vast amount of water , whereas mine
in a closed gulf and needs a different approach .
Unfortunately Arnold who first got interested with my problem did not come back , probably very busy .
Thanks again for your time .

George

Attachments

• Pix1.jpg
    Pix1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Pix2.jpg
    Pix2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 357
  • Pix3.jpg
    Pix3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 333

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Yes, you've asked for my .SBP file to review, which I've shared. It does not include the image I made for reference, that is what triggered your first image warning, nor are you able to compile a photo ground polygon, as it is missing. Picture 3 also reveals the sucessfully removed default island. Please focus on polygon type, layer and placement to achieve the maximum benefit from this file. If you want to make yourself a .bmp to compile a reference image island from, I am sure that would work.

Country
greece
You are absolutely right . l'll keep trying though , although l have followed every tutorial there is with no success , you never know .
Maybe someone will turn out with some kind of suggestion . l doubt it though because from what l've noticed , the forum is not as
active as it used to be .

Best regards and thanks again .

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
We are apparently out of ideas, since what works for us does not work for you. It looks like you need to do more investigating?

Country
greece
l wouldn't post for help if l didn't investigate first and try every tutorial there is .
l come to believe that it might be the particularity of the project (the island in a position of a narrow gulf with shore around)
or maybe the settings of the scenery in the display of FSX ( l have them all to the extreme right) .

Country
belgium
Hi,

I don't know if this will help, but with SBuilder205 for FS2004 (on AVSim) there was a tutorial about creating an island.
I've never tried it myself but it seems there are 2 ways to create the island surface, depending on where the island is located, close to another landmass or not.
Again, this is for FS2004, things could be different for FSX.

Regards,
DDP.

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/how-to-make-an-island.440824/#post-779184

Hi,

It would help if you explain what you tried already and which part did not work. Then we can probably help you further.

Hello Fly7634:

Arno has already politely prompted you to explain what you tried already and which part did not work. :alert:

If you are genuinely serious about getting help here at FSDeveloper forums, please post Geographic coordinates for your FSX project location, and attach a ZIP archive file containing your project file for ADE (*.AD4 file) and your SBuilderX exported *. SBX file (not to be confused with a *.SBP file).

Also, please state whether you have any add-ons (freeware or payware) installed and set active in FSX, which may affect your project area with any local or world-wide changes to terrain mesh, flattens, water class or land class textures, airports ...such as may be provided by OrbX FTX Global / Vector / Open Land Class, GEX, UTX Europe etc.

Numerous forum participants here will then be properly informed, and able to better help you successfully achieve your objective. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
greece
@GaryGB

As you probably have seen , l replied to Arno stating in detail what l have done .

Attachments

• island.zip
    895 bytes · Views: 178
Country
greece
@GaryGB

Further my previous post the co-ordinates are (N 38.3457555555677, E 23.7933805555558).
l attach the ADE .AD2 files ( there is no .AD4 , because l use ADE 1.50 but l suppose you can open it with your newer version)
No , there are no active add-ons in FSX Addon scenery/scenery .
No there are no local or world-wide changes to terrain mesh, flattens, water class or land class textures .
In actual fact there is nothing extra(!) except a clean FSX with only the airport for this island project .

George

Attachments

• NHSI_ADEX_GEO.ad2
    51.9 KB · Views: 165

GHD

Country
england
Try the attached as a template. Change the extention to SBX and append to your SBX project.

Attachments

• ZZZZ.TXT
    2.3 KB · Views: 490