1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX how to make night textures for fsx photoreal sceneries

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by spitfiregt6, 2 Nov 2010.

1. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    I'm working on designing Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. I 've got a really nice photoreal section for the base, but wondered if there is any program to modify the photo to simulate night scenery and seasons.

Mike

2. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Hmmm ... Photoshop?

3. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    I'm a bit of a garage expert with that... the process involves darkening the original texture and then using a brush with special settings to lighten the illuminated areas. Works very well, but you'll need Photoshop. Let me know if you want the steps.

Misho

4. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    Misho, thanks for the offer to help with the night textures. I would appreciate as much detail on your technique as you could provide. With the number of people now downloading satellite photos for sceneries, I'm sure others would like to know your technique.

Mike

5. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    Sure, no problem. The method is easy and very effective, IMHO.

• First, open your aerial image in photoshop.
    • Then, (optional) duplicate this image to create a new layer with the same image.
    • Next, darken this image by using "Levels" option "Ctrl-L". Slide the "output levels" right (bright) marker to the left so that right value reads between 20 and 25. The image will darken, but you'll still see the scenery (barely). This is the "power outage" look :D
    • Next, chose a round paintbrush with "fuzzy" fringes. Select a fairly large diameter, depending on the resolution of your image.
    • Set a foreground color that is bright and pale. In our case, we want streetlights which are bright with slightly orange hue. Color I used is RGB(255,246,212)
    • Next, set brush into "Overlay" mode (very important!)
    • Start brightening the areas of your darkened image by simply clicking on it 3-5 times. You'll see that the effect this brush has on the image is a lightened area of the image, just as if it was brightened by a streetlight.
    You'd usually brighten sections of urban streets and parking lots that would be lit by street lighting. You can use other BRIGHT PALE colors (red, blue,...) to change the color of lighting, but that usually looks unrealistic, unless it is a rock concert or something :cool:

I hope this helps!
    Misho

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  6. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    Misho,

Thanks. That is just what I needed. I hope this helps other photoreal scenery novices.

Mike

7. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    No problem! Show us your work (in the showroom section) when you're ready ;)

Misho

8. riccardo74

riccardo74

italy
    Great tutorial Misho, and thanks for provide us yours steps.

Are they valid also if you want to do a night texture of a bulding? Or want to "illuminate" a window?

9. jtanabodee

jtanabodee Resource contributor

thailand
    I use different technique but I think I get the same result.
    1. Make a new layer with black color, set transparency to about 80-90%.
    2. Put another layer with color of light, put yellow-orange color where you want. Set multiply to the layer.
    3. Use eraser to delete black color.
    By this technique, you will have day texture, night texture in the same sheet with various of light colors.

10. riccardo74

riccardo74

italy
    What do you mean with set multiply ti layers?

And again how can you have day and night texture on the same sheet? Night texture has _lm before extension.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

11. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I guess Jtanabodee meant "with the same texture sheet", night texture is a copy of difuse texture. Multiply is the mode how the leyers blend. it's in the box near to "opacity" you can play with this modes and see how the layers blend. here is not so important but with images you can get oustandings outputs. it's used too when blending "ambient occlusion maps", with the mode "superimpose" but this is another story.
    All in all, night texture is all about to darken the image and apply light where is required as Windows, or where the light is reflected. like part of the walls, here everyone have his own "modus operandi".
    Once created the night texture you can apply this to the model with modelconvertx and his material editor.

12. falcon409

falcon409

us-texas
    I also use the two additional layers (I use Paint Shop Pro) and then the eraser tool to lighten the black layer. Always gives me an excellent night texture for my airports. One thing I didn't see mentioned is how the satellite image is being compiled. If it's with SBuilderX, the extension isn't "_lm", it's "_N". If you're doing scenery objects with night textures then "_lm" is the correct extension. . .the night texture for the satellite image isn't a day texture and night texture in one. . .it's only a night texture.

13. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    Falcon409, not sure if _N is an alternate method......but I use _LM extension in SbuilderX all the time, similar to objects.

Actually, it shouldn't matter as long as the image is mapped correctly.

Attached Files:

• lm.jpg
      lm.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
  14. riccardo74

riccardo74

italy
    No one of you guys use Illuminate effect via your paint tools? Erase darken area is more "realistic"?

EDIT: if some one use 3ds max, which percentage of "self-illumination" channel value is better, 100% is not too high?

Last edited: 17 Sep 2015
  15. ph-lcs

ph-lcs

netherlands
    Hi Misho,

When you have executed above steps, you have 2 layers. one original and one duplicated. Are there more steps to follow? How to save the new image? Do you have to combine the 2 layers? etc...

Reason I ask this, because I can't get this method to work.
    Hope you can help me.

16. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    Sure... but what part "does not work"? You created an image... now, save it and process it into the format that FSX understands (BGL or DDS). If you duplicated the layer, hide the original layer and save the image. That's it. If the "does not work" part is actually processing the image into FSX format, well, that's another topic altogether.

17. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford

unitedkingdom
    Misho, thanks for the quick and easy tutorial and instructions on how to create a night texture. What would I save this as? For example: TIF file with "_N" (for night) at the end of the original file name (as per creating water and blend masks using SbuilderX) or do I save as a different name?

18. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    I never used SBuilderX. I am only going by what is spelled out in the SDK. If you are working with FSX scenery, you should familiarize yourself with FSX SDK.

So - for landscape/terrain coverage: You can save as BMP, TGA, GeoTIFF or TIFF format. All these are acceptable to resample.exe application. You don't have to name the file with any kind of suffix (except for your own refference, if you want), because you specify night texture in INF file using "Variation = Night" parameter. Follow instructions in the SDK documentation on how to assemble an INF file.

Or (shameless self promo :) ) buy my TerraBuilder FSX software at www.terrabuilder.com and use it to greatly simplify the creation of landscape terrain.

For 3D objects using night textures (such as buildings with illuminated windows at night, illuminated outside areas, etc.) or for airplanes with illuminated tail lights etc, save image as BMP, TGA, PSD (recommended), R8, PPM or DDS. These are the formats Imagetool.exe recognizes. Use imagetool.exe to load your work, and save it as DDS with _lm suffix.

This is all spelled out in FSX SDK. If you're serious about creating FSX scenery, familiarize yourself with it. I know it is a lot of dry reading, but these are the basics you will absolutely need to create your own quality scenery.

Misho

19. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford

unitedkingdom
    Thanks Misho - I'll have a read of the SDK documentation again. I've just been following a tutorial I found online and have had very successful results thus far but mistakenly overlooked the fact that my satellite photo real scenery doesnt variate between night and day! I haven't used Resample.exe yet so will have to familiarize myself with it.

Thanks for the help.