1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX how to make night textures for fsx photoreal sceneries

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by spitfiregt6, 2/11/10.

1. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    I'm working on designing Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. I 've got a really nice photoreal section for the base, but wondered if there is any program to modify the photo to simulate night scenery and seasons.

Mike
  2. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Hmmm ... Photoshop?
  3. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    I'm a bit of a garage expert with that... the process involves darkening the original texture and then using a brush with special settings to lighten the illuminated areas. Works very well, but you'll need Photoshop. Let me know if you want the steps.

Misho
  4. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    Misho, thanks for the offer to help with the night textures. I would appreciate as much detail on your technique as you could provide. With the number of people now downloading satellite photos for sceneries, I'm sure others would like to know your technique.

Mike
  5. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    Sure, no problem. The method is easy and very effective, IMHO.

• First, open your aerial image in photoshop.
    • Then, (optional) duplicate this image to create a new layer with the same image.
    • Next, darken this image by using "Levels" option "Ctrl-L". Slide the "output levels" right (bright) marker to the left so that right value reads between 20 and 25. The image will darken, but you'll still see the scenery (barely). This is the "power outage" look :D
    • Next, chose a round paintbrush with "fuzzy" fringes. Select a fairly large diameter, depending on the resolution of your image.
    • Set a foreground color that is bright and pale. In our case, we want streetlights which are bright with slightly orange hue. Color I used is RGB(255,246,212)
    • Next, set brush into "Overlay" mode (very important!)
    • Start brightening the areas of your darkened image by simply clicking on it 3-5 times. You'll see that the effect this brush has on the image is a lightened area of the image, just as if it was brightened by a streetlight.
    You'd usually brighten sections of urban streets and parking lots that would be lit by street lighting. You can use other BRIGHT PALE colors (red, blue,...) to change the color of lighting, but that usually looks unrealistic, unless it is a rock concert or something :cool:

I hope this helps!
    Misho

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  6. spitfiregt6

spitfiregt6

us-ohio
    Misho,

Thanks. That is just what I needed. I hope this helps other photoreal scenery novices.

Mike
  7. Misho

Misho

ca-ontario
    No problem! Show us your work (in the showroom section) when you're ready ;)

Misho