1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make night textures?

Discussion in 'Ground2k4, SBuilder, SBuilderX' started by liser, 19/10/09.

1. liser

liser

spain
    I've been searching here and I've found nothing. BTW I suppose that this has been asked before...

So, could anyone post a link or something to a tutorial or give me some gidance???

What I have is the sbuilder map in bmp format, what I want to do is edit it to add as a night texture under map properties (like seasons), but I don't know how to edit the image (In Photoshop I suppose) and what name to give the edited texture.

Thanks!
  2. Soota

Soota

us-washington
    Try this:

1. Load the .BMP file in Photoshop (make a copy of the original).
    2. Add a new blank layer over the top.
    3. Use the paint bucket and make the entire layer black.
    4. Set the opacity of this new layer to 85%.
    5. Save it, I usually put "_n" after the name.
    6. Point SBuilder to this file in the night section of the seasonal settings.

-If you want to get really crazy put a low-opacity white/yellow layer under the 85% black layer and then use the eraser tool (set small with a nice feather) on the black layer. Basically you are burning blurry little holes in the black layer and allowing tiny sections of the white/yellow layer to show - this simulates lights.
  3. liser

liser

spain
    thank you!
    BTW I have solved it before your post, but it's been helpful too!!!

Now what I want to make is a blend mask

Do you also know how it's done?

thanks again!
  4. falcon409

falcon409

us-texas
    I assume what you want is to smooth the edges of your bitmap so they blend into the surrounding landclass without a hard edge. That's pretty simple ;
    Load your bitmap into Photoshop or in my case PaintShop Pro. Make a layer that is solid black (0,0,0) then move the opacity slider back to where you can see the the underlying image. Add a second layer and draw a freehand marquise around the outer perimeter of the area you want to show. Fill that with solid white, and then apply a gaussian blur to that layer (you can adjust the amount of blur to make it suit your needs). Now save the image as a single layer "tif" image with the extension "_B" at the end of the image file name.

Now when you go back to SBuilder to compile, the program will automatically load that blur image and compile it with the original bitmap so that it blurrs the edges of the photoimage.
  5. falcon409

falcon409

us-texas
    I also want to thank Soota for the simplest, yet most effective description of how to do night texturing I've seen posted. Thanks for that!!
  6. Erikk

Erikk

netherlands
    Where can I find the seasonal setting?
  7. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    In SBuilder click on edge of map to select, then right click to get context menu and select "properties". Go to "Photo Bitmaps" tab and there is a place to fill in the filenames for night and the season variations of your base photo image.

scott s.
  8. Erikk

Erikk

netherlands
    Thank you!