1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Work Out File Formats?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by scruffyduck, 7/10/06.

1. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    OK this is just a question from me to all you guys who have slaved over the file format in FS.

I wonder what method you use to go about it. I must admit that looking at a jumble of Hex codes leaves me quite bemused and not knowing really how to start. I feel I should be better at it so I would appreciate you thoughts :)

Thanks in Advance
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Jon,

For my explorations of the MDL format it is basically staring at the hex stuff :). And then comparing it with the ASM (Fs2004 gamepack) or XML (XtoMDL) source to see if I can find the logic in the hex values.

After a while it usually starts to make sense to me, how it is stored in the binary format. But I think the most important is to have some sort of information on what should be stored in the file (like a source file or another description).
  3. lmoelleb

lmoelleb

Same here. It also helps if you have a compiler going from for example XML to the binary format. Then you can change a single value and see what happens.
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Yes, of course I forgot that one. Unfortunately there is no such compiler for the new MDL format (yet). So it will become changing stuff in GMax in that case.