• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA How TS handles (presets) file names and other topics

Country
germany
Hi Don,

The last days I extensively used TS in order to smooth the environment of some airports I had pimped just a bit. However, I tumbled more than once in a trap Terrain Sculptor offered to me (okay, finally my fault, of course).

It seems to me the the tool grabs the last used file name and the location where it had compiled to, even when stating a new project. It would be more convenient in my personal opinion if the project folder would be chosen once and then (quasi) static for a project's life time and, even more important, the essence of a project name would remain static (it might be the ICAO or anything else). It happened to me that I compiled a new project being named correctly under the name of its predecessor.

It happened similar when saving the project file itself by choosing "Save as". I found the former name being set, different from the actual valid name, and this was kinda disturbing.

What I'm doing wrong, or by asking the better question, is there any way to prevent this?

A second topic: When opening a project a list of existing files appears, but this list is not visible when selecting "Save as"? It would be nice if in next versions the previous file names would show up as well.

At last a hint and a question: While preparing the triangulation around a given airport flatten the preparation function "Profile Blend Outline" stopped working for unknown reasons. I needed a couple of attempts before it worked again - finally I changed slightly the position of a node, even far away from the area it stopped working before. What could cause TS to terminate? It didn't crash nor block. However, I closed it and started with the saved file again.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I am travelling at the moment - away from my development system - and unable to determine what I may be able to do ablout your concerns.

Please send me/post a reminder in a couple of weeks and I'll take a look at these issues then.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Axel, I've now returned from my travels.

Re your concerns:
  1. Initialization of Save as ... file name - This operation is due to a design oversight and I'll fix in the near future.
  2. Save as ... File list - TS uses the standard Windows function for Save as ... opening the dialog at the folder from which the file being saved was initially retrieved. If the existing files are in that folder then they should be displayed. If they are in another folder, then it's up to you to select that folder. If they are in different folders, that would require a custom function (which isn't in my current plans)
  3. Profile Blend Outline stops working - this happens to me occasionally (and infrequently). I believe it is due to a SimConnect or FSUIPC request or response "going astray". TS directs Flightsim to move to a specific location and checks the aircraft position at the next 100 ms "tick". If the user aircraft is not at the right place at the time, TS repeats the request and so on. However, from the code, it appears if the request is not satisfied in 3 attempts - which might happen if the machine/Flightsim is very busy - the process simply aborts. I need to check into this further and, perhaps, allow more time or at least advise the user that the process has aborted.
Stay tuned,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Axel, please give Development Release 1.2.07(a) (available from http://stuff4fs.com) a try. It clears the filename when a new project is initialized. As well. if TS is unable to position the user aircraft, the user is now advised after 10 retires (~1 sec.)

Don

Country
germany
Hi Don, I'll come back if I feel it could be necessary. When recalling my last sessions I think it had been only your topic 2 (Win standard function) to use the last folder. Probably I'm just petted by ADE's possibility, defining a standard folder for the projects and a different one for compiling the results. As I know that such wishes might end in too much work at your side, I just ask you to forget it.
Thanks for responding (I didn't just in time in this case, sorry for that).

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please give Development Release 1.2.08(b) a try. (http://stuff4fs.com)

While the logic you suggested would work for you, I'm concerned not everyone will use the same project file structure. So, I've implemented something a little more general. Now the folder into which the last save was made is saved and, becomes the default save folder unless you load a file from another folder. In situations where using the file name of, say, an imported file, may create difficulties, you will have to specify a new filename.

Let me know what you think.

Don

Country
germany
Don, the first round of opening and saving projects appeared to be the same as before, but the second try made the difference obvious. However, when creating a BGL you're getting still the previous project name having nothing to do with the actual opened and saved project. The folders being pre-selected are okay for me now.

BTW, creating the blending profile now takes significantly longer than before. Did you slow down the process in total (for each step) because of the connection losses?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
However, when creating a BGL you're getting still the previous project name having nothing to do with the actual opened and saved project
Did you click Files/New first? (That's one of the operations for which I cleared the path yesterday.) If not, how did you start the new .bgl?

BTW, creating the blending profile now takes significantly longer than before. Did you slow down the process in total (for each step) because of the connection losses?
Don't know what you mean by "connection losses", but no, I haven't changed anything in that regard. That process is processing-intensive, so if your CPU is otherwise occupied, the net effect could be a slowdown. I notice significant variations on my own system.

Don

Country
germany
Did you click Files/New first?
Nope, I opened an existing project.

Don't know what you mean by "connection losses"
That had been my short version of your description:
I believe it is due to a SimConnect or FSUIPC request or response "going astray".
Well, next time I'll start Process Explorer before. FSX and TS had been the only running Apps besides Firefox and one instance of the Windows Explorer.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
However, when creating a BGL you're getting still the previous project name having nothing to do with the actual opened and saved project
gadgets said:
Did you click Files/New first?
Nope, I opened an existing project.
Then I don't understand your initial comment. When you open a project, I can see that you may want to save the .bgl to a different folder. But, if you open a .bgl , AIFP assumes you want to save it under the same name and folder and, therefor, proposes the current name when you go to save it. If you want to save under a different name, then you would use Save As. That's "standard" operation. How could AIFP know you want to save an edited .bgl under a different name?

gadgets said:
I believe it is due to a SimConnect or FSUIPC request or response "going astray".
Well, next time I'll start Process Explorer before. FSX and TS had been the only running Apps besides Firefox and one instance of the Windows Explorer.
I don't recall what was the initial question, since it was asked in a different thread.

Ask it again and I'll see if my original response stands.

Don

Country
germany
I can see that you may want to save the .bgl to a different folder. But, if you open a .bgl , AIFP assumes you want to save it under the same name and folder and, therefor, proposes the current name when you go to save it.
Let's do it step by step (no "complication" like appending the results to an other project intended):
  1. When opening TS it comes empty and may have now somewhere the previously used folder name(s) stored as preset.
  2. Now there are some possibilities:
    • a) I may now start a new project and I thought it can be done without selecting first "new" as there is nothing to do if the aircraft is positioned in FS where I want to do something with the tool.
    • b) I also could open an existent project file and would wish to see a previously used folder (like "Projects") and a list of still existent files. I would expect the name of the opened file to be be the actual name to be offered as preset from now on unless I would use the function "Save as" to rename it. At the moment it comes with the folder where I had previously stored the BGL of my last project
    • c) Alternatively I could import a SBX or BGL file which would be handled like the first case - a cleared preset name until it gets one by "Save" or "Save as". This would neither name the file nor should this action change the 'default' project folder unless I select a new one via "Save" or "Save as".
  3. After doing the work I want not only to save the project, but either exporting it or to create an BGL for the desired platform.
    • Assuming that the project has been stored before starting this step, it should have already a name which could be derived from <name>&<_initials_>&CVX.*. As far as I experienced, TS presets the previous used output folder (which is good as far as I am concerned), but proposes the (old) project name and not, as I would expect it, the one actually in process - assumed it had been stored before by "Save" or "Save as".
With other words, I would prefer having a defined (probably with tick-box to make it default) project folder in order to load existent or to save project (TSD) files and a second default folder (again with a tick-box), than can be different from the first one, to handle BGL files. As far as I can see, everything seems to be defined in the TS.ini, but the app behaves not as it probably is desired.

Example:
upload_2017-8-11_17-6-28.png

Obviously it proposes the name of the last stored BGL-file (at least the folder is sorted this way).

After storing by using hopefully the correct file name I eventually would shut down TS. When using it the next time, it wants to open a TSD project not from the project folder previously used, but it starts with the folder where I'd stored the BGL.
Eaxample:
upload_2017-8-11_17-14-31.png

I would rather wish to see the project folder (being on a different drive and buried deeply in a folder structure).

I'm only afraid that nothing is clear anymore... :wave:

Don, it would be only fair ignoring my wishes if it's only me working and thinking this way. It doesn't prevent using your tool and something I would summarise a 'comfort'. Thanks for your efforts anyhow, for me it's close to :wizard:.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Essentially, you are asking for two changes:
  1. A project combo-box from which you could select a previously worked-on project. I can easily insert one in the title bar.
  2. Don't use the Windows default folder selection when opening a file; rather, use the folder from which the last project was loaded.
with 2. above, there should be no need to designate a project folder; it would be done automatically - without the need to redesignate the project folder should you have 2 or more and wish to switch between the. It would even be possible to provide a unique "dynamic" project folder for each file type, e.g., .dat, .bgl, .sbx.

In all other respects of your request, the latest development release should work the way you want save for then need to click "New" when starting a project immediately after opening TS, which I can also easily accommodate.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Terrain Sculptor 1.2.08(c) posted to http://stuff4fs.com.

I have extensively revamped the file opening and saving code. Turned out the project selection combobox in the title bar was not a good idea - for several reasons. Also, I was reluctant to implement your project folder idea since it presumes a file storage configuration using a single TS project folder. In my case, that's not useful. I maintain 6 airports and have a development folder for each. The files of interest are stored in those folders. Others may, of course, use a different configuration. But, I'm confident you'll be happy with what I've done.

Now, when you attempt to open or import a file, a list of the up-to-10 most recently loaded files of that type is displayed. Select from that list or click on the menu item to otherwise specify the file of interest. When it comes time to save, if the last file loaded is of the type you intend to save, it will save under the same name by default (but you have an opportunity to change destination). Otherwise, it will save under the current file name in the destination folder of the last save of that type (and you can adjust that as well). By type, I mean .tsd, .tsp, .bgl or .sbx. In the case of the latter two, TS will differentiate between FS9 and FSX/P3D save folders.

So, over to you Alex. Please give it a good workout. However, don't be surprised if a few gremlins have crept in, The changes are extensive.

Don

Country
germany
Don, I'll test it likely tomorrow as now I'm on my way to get some sleep. What you wrote seems to be okay. Let's see whether I can find your gremlins... :yikes:

Country
germany
Hi Don, I'm going to start with my findings. After a "Saving as" my next step had been an export to BGL and it now shows a doubled file extension:
upload_2017-8-13_11-46-6.png

The selection of previous file seems to work. I did not test all possible combinations yet, but the idea itself works fine.

There are indeed different way how to handle projects. I don't have in mind following changes and to maintain specific airports as you do. I'm rather strolling around the virtual world and if I see anything disturbing or being obviously wrong I try to to fix it. Sometimes I use high quality freeware, in some cases I buy scenery, but very often I start working for myself. In very remote areas - from my own perspective, of course - like in Myanmar, Laos or so, I usually keep it simple and therefore separated project folders are seldom. ADE projects are usually compiled in two or maximal three different files, the result of my attempts using TS would be just a fourth one.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for evaluating.

After a "Saving as" my next step had been an export to BGL and it now shows a doubled file extension:
Easily fixed.

If you find anything else, please let me know.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 1.2.08(d), just uploaded, fixes the double extension issue.

DOn