1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm an Idiot obviously

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Ubeans2001, 11/2/07.

1. Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

us-nevada
    Well I want to try something new...I want to animate a jetway that lines up with any plane's door, but I'm not so good at the FS code stuff. Any easy ways to do this?:confused:
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Depends on which version of FS you are working for. For Fs2004 this is only possible with a lot of code tweaking, etc. In FsX it should be possible with an IK animation as described in the SDK.
  3. Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

us-nevada
    Great....It's for FS2004...Now I have to learn all of the codes and stuff. I guess thats OK, So How do you do that?:rolleyes:
  4. arno

netherlands
    I can explain a bit how it did this for a scenery I worked on. But it means a lot of ASM code tweaking, so I want to start with a little warning. If you have never done ASM code tweaking before and don't really understand how source code works, don't start on something as complex as this.

First I made a module (DLL) file that gives the scenery information about the kind of aircraft the user is using. This module is called ActiGate and it is available on this website as well. The variables that are filled by the module, can be used in the scenery to check for certain conditions.

The next step would be to model your gate in GMax. This is the easy part. Once you have the model you would have to make a lot of different animations. One animation for each aircraft type you want to support, for each of them the gate should animate to the position of the door of that type.

Now the tricky part starts, you will have to manually merge all these animations together. And using the variables I mentioned above make sure that the correct animation shows for the correct aircraft. This is where all the code tweaking needs to be done.

Personally I would never start with such a project at this time, because in FsX making such things is a lot easier. So spending a lot of time on a Fs2004 scenery at this moment seems a bit a waste of time (IMHO).
  5. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Agreed. I'm not a scenery designer (aircraft are my thing) but I can tell you for sure that you will end up pulling your hair out if you even try this. What you're looking at doing is one of the most complicated things for scenery developers. Hands down.

My point is that if a jetway I can throw together for FSX in about one day is better quality than one that a top scenery designer does for FS9 in a month, then I would seriously consider designing my scenery for FSX. :D

However if you think you still want to do an animated jetway for FS9, I wish you the best of luck. If you get stuck on something feel free to post it here at fsdeveloper. Maybe if we all pool our knowledge together we can save you some frustrations :confused: :cool:
  6. toprob

toprob

Yes, Arno has done a great deal of work on this, but fortunately this work has made it a lot easier for the rest of us (many, like me, don't do code...)
    I used animated gates in my Wellington scenery, just using Arno's tools.
    Since Wellington mainly hosts 737-sized aircraft at the gates, and they are not on wheels, most only had to lower the head and extend the dock. Animation was triggered by the parking brake, with the variable suppled by Actigate.
    I used CAT to check for the brake.
    Two gates service larger aircraft, so these raise and lower depending on the aircraft. Again, Actigate supplies the data, and CAT puts it all together.
    See -- no coding!
  7. arno

netherlands
    Yes, I forgot about CAT a little bit as I did not use it on my own gates. That should make it a little easier, although I think that you need to do a little code editing to get the IFMSK command right. So then the tricky part would be to make all the animations.

For the animation problem I made another tool for the Schiphol scenery I work on. But that is because the aiport has about 80 gates and I wanted to support about 20 aircraft types for each gate. So I was a bit too lazy to make all those animations by hand :).

But if you have a limited set of aircraft you want to support, making the animations in GMax and using CAT should be possible.
  8. Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

us-nevada
    Well I have all of the animations done and ready. I just have to add the condition thing.