1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import FS2004 mdl?

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by atco, 7/1/09.

1. atco

atco

ca-ontario
    Hi all,

Would it be possible to modify ModelConverter X to import FS2004 mdl files?

I am building an AI Aircraft for both sims and am intrigued by the LOD creator feature - I think that has a lot of promise for AI aircraft especially, because LOD's are so critical to good performance.

I could compile the model for FSX, and work that way, but I am not sure if an mdl created for FSX can be run in 2004 - I'm guessing not.

Thanks for your time
    Garry
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

The LOD Creator is only in the beta version at the moment, I hope to get a public release with it soon.

At that moment you could try to import from a FSX MDL file, you can then export again to FS2004 MDL from ModelConverterX.

I do have plans to add import of FS2004 MDL files as well (first scenery MDL, later also aircraft MDL), but that will not be before the next release.
  3. atco

atco

ca-ontario
    Thanks Arno,

That would be great if you could add the functionality at some point.
    Yes, currently we are compiling as an FSX mdl then after working in 3DS creating back as an FS2004 mdl, so we can work around it for now.

I don't know how far you will be able to take the LOD creator, however in terms of AI modelling, if you were ever able to achieve a workable level of functionality with it to the point where it would preserve most of the model (or let you choose where to reduce polys from), it would be a significant breakthrough.
    I suspect a large number of AI aircraft never get finished because the LOD creation is such a time-consuming and mundane task - I dream of a day when LOD's can be made with a few mouse clicks !

Thanks for your time
    Garry
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Garry,

I also don't know exactly at the moment how far I can take this. It is also a sort of experiment to see how easy and useful I can make this process. But any time saved on making LODs is useful.

In my vision it would never be a fully automatic process, as each type of object needs a different kind of LOD to still look realistic from a distance. Therefore I plan to add different sliders to tune how the algorithm works. For example clamp to the ground, preserve material mapping, preserve border between two material, preserve polygons based on area, etc. By mixing those settings the user can influence how the LOD is going to look. Of course the more things you want to keep, the more difficult it will be to remove polygons. But that is where the compromise has to be found in the end.
  5. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    In answer to another post i made, have you yet managed to implement a 2004 .mdl function into ModelConverter X ?
  6. arno

netherlands
    Yes, FS2004 scenery MDL files are working in the latest development release. Although there is a bug in the latest version that causes many polygons to be flipped. I am working on that.
  7. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Have you managed yet to implement the 2004 aircraft and scenery .mdls with MDLConverterX please Arno ?

Thanks.
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

For the FS2004 scenery MDL files yes, for the aircraft ones no. The last one is still on the wishlist.