1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import FS2004 Model, export as FSX model.

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by jetboy23, 10/9/11.

1. jetboy23

jetboy23

us-massachusetts
    Hi!

Basically what I'm trying to get at, is merging a VC for a specific plane, but I can't do that since the model for it was compiled w/ the FS2004 SDK. Is there a way I can import that into a program, then re-export it as an FSX SDK-compiled model, so I can merge that VC?

Thanks!
  2. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    If that where possible which it is (but no program exists to my knowledge that does such things) there would be massive copyright violations and theft of intellectual property. However, if we were GOD which we aren't, we would never do such things but this isn't the case, lol.
  3. jetboy23

jetboy23

us-massachusetts
    So, basically, the answer is no, because it is illegal?
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    The real answer is that it is impractical!

While it can be done, the simple truth is by the time you re-did all the materials, re-did all the animations, fixed all the partnames and re-linked them into a logical heirarchy, et cetera...

...you may just as well have started from scratch and built your own model to begin with! :rotfl:
  5. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Like Bill said, its very difficult.

With FS2004, you have some animated parts, and mostly parts that use 'names' as the animation tags.

With FSX, you have;
    Attach points attaching the animations to parts
    Serial numbers (GUID) attached to every single animation type
    Effects Attachments (also) for things like lights, disappearence visibility things, etc
    Super ellaborate (almost rediculous) FSX materials that have tons of various settings and inputs
    'EVERYTHING" in FSX must be animated, including props and tires

The list goes on. This must be carried out on a model before it can be magically exported into FSX format. You could almost build another cockpit. You could rip models (illegally in some cases) and try to export, but it will be a 'lump of clay' with none of the FSX attributes; no animations, no tag attachments, no GUID's, etc, etc, etc...

Thats why alot of Dev's never re-created their planes for FSX. Its alot of hair pulling.
  6. jetboy23

jetboy23

us-massachusetts
    Okay guys, thanks for the replies...

I guess I'll just have to deal with the horrible 2D cockpits...

Thanks! :)
  7. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Note that you can use other FSX cockpit models in FSX. Every model has an interior and exterior model in it (in FSX). You can swap out one interior into the model of another with a good exterior. Just copy/paste, and reset the name of the new VC model into the model.cfg file and you are good to go.

;)

Thats another thing. FS9 has both models in one model file, and in FSX, you have an interior and an exterior model...
  8. jetboy23

jetboy23

us-massachusetts
    Yes, but not is the aircraft was compiled w/ the FS2004 SDK...