1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing 3ds model into ESP or FSX?

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by mlacay, 4/12/08.

1. mlacay

mlacay

us-newyork
    Hello all, I am trying to import a .3ds model into a format ESP (which i believe is FSX compatible?) can recognize. I've attempted to use various MakeMdl and XtoMdl versions using various combinations of GMAX and Blender but to no avail.

Blender claims to be able to export to FSX and X but XtoMdl and MakeMdl say that the X isn't in the proper format.
    :confused:

I see that there are 3d Studio Max 7/8/9 plugins but none for 10/11 in the ESP package (and I assume FSX SDK)

Is there any definitive way to approach this problem and get an aircraft model imported into a compatible .X or MDL format?
  2. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    Try the 3DSMax7 plugins to do the conversion.
  3. mlacay

mlacay

us-newyork
    Felix, the 3ds max 7 plugins do not load in 3ds max 2009. They complain with the error

"DLL FSModelExp.dle is not made for this version of the program - not loading"

And same for MaxUtils.gup, MaxXML.gup
  4. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hello Mlacay,

Did you know that Microsofts ESP team have a help/assitence service with employees to help out? They might be able to shed some light on this. See if you can google their help desk. I'll bet they might even have a phone number.

They said that this was to be professionally supported, so I imagine they have the manpower set up and waiting.

Please let us know how you do and how things go with it. I would be interested in knowing.

Bill
  5. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    My "kludge" solution would be to export as a 3DS, import into gmax, check the textures, etc, animations are all rigiht and export from gmax.
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

At the moment the most resent gamepack is indeed for 3DS Max 9, with never versions it does not work. Although I believe ESP might see an update to the most resent 3DS version in the (near) future.

For the moment I would probably try what Felix suggests. Export as 3DS and import into GMax. It will be some work to get all animations working again correctly, but for the geometry and texturing it should work fine.
  7. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I hope you dont have mirror issues. I purchased a 3DS model once to use in Gmax, and that darn thing would not compile with the mirrored side. It was invisible. We tried everything known to humanity to get it to work. I think it was a series of Max though that was older then the Mark 9, probably 3DS Max 6 or 7.

Hopefully it will not do that now...

Man, for ESP to be a business venture, and for Max to be the biggest and almost most expensive 3D appliance (besides Maya and Autocad), you would think these guys could afford to have the updates and such for working these models. I have heard horror stories of guys spending 4,000.00 USD for Max only to find its useless for making models in FSX...)

Bill
  8. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Autodesk will provide the earlier version(s) for those who've purchased Max and the Maintenance support package.
  9. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    If only getting earlier version of 3DS wasn't such a problem (it's really not if you have also purchased the subscription service), this wouldn't be such an impasse.

I should also point out that it wasn't that of a problem until 3DS moved to a new format for 3DS 2008 and made older plug-ins incompatible. Until that time, plugins compiled with an earlier 3DS SDK would work in newer releases, as a 3DS 2008 plugin now works with version 2009, with minor scripting changes.

Cheers,

Etienne
  10. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona

Ahhh... Good to know.

Thanks for the info on that Etienne.
  11. mlacay

mlacay

us-newyork
    thanks for the reply guys

im glad that at least there is some support on these issues through this forum. at least i'll have an answer for my superiors on this matter.... what a lame situation...

anyway, in the meantime, at least so i can get something to show, is there any guide to take me through exporting a 3ds from GMAX into something i can use in ESP ?
  12. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Well, once the .3ds is successfully imported into GMax and saved once, it becomes a .gmax file... ;)

The "worst part" of having to use a .3ds file is -to me at least- having all partnames reduced to only 8 characters, so the first task I undertake is to rename all the parts to something meaningful...

...I mean, just what the heck IS "Box_08" anyway! :eek:

The next step is to create new FSX Materials, assign the bitmaps to the Diffuse Color slots, etc. and Apply them to the appropriate part(s) in the scene.

Following that, I (re)create any animations using the method outlined in the FSX (ESP) SDK, adding any required XML script to the Modeldef.xml file as needed, exporting Selected parts and testing as I go.