1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Audacity, Can I 'ramp up' and ramp down' sound pitch?

Discussion in 'Sound' started by lionheart, 14/7/11.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey all,

Can I change a Fade In to 'ramp up' its pitch? For instance, I want to do a fade in, of a sound, that goes from zero RPM to idle. This would mean I need to slow down the faded part to zero, and speed it up, bring up the volume, to idle speed/pitch.

Is that possible with Audacity?
  2. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    This is a hard one to do. I have googled around on the web for an effect or 'something' that can do this with a sound effect. I might look for a forum for sounds and effects and see if someone knows how to do this.

What it would do is 'slow down' or 'accellerate' a sound zone, like making the pitch/speed come to a stop in the zone selection area that you choose. The effect is that for something like an engine sound, it would sound like the RPM was decellerating to a stop, where as with 'fade out', it just gets quieter but the RPM is maintained in the sound. (Volume fade instead of RPM or speed fade).

Bill
  3. Flying Officer Jevans

Flying Officer Jevans

unitedkingdom
    There are in fact two ways to do this, which I didn't know about until I did a search. The "Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift" plugin under the effects menu can be used to apply a sliding pitch shift in a section of audio, but you may have to apply it multiple times to get the effect you want.

A more flexible way of doing it is by inserting a 'Time Track' into the project( Tracks>Add>Time Track.) This presents you with a line in a single track that can be manipulated by the envelope tool. You can change the line to manipulate the pitch and speed of the track at any point. By default, the range on the graph is tiny, but click on the track drop-down menu and select "Set Range". Set, say, 13% for the lower limit and 200% for the upper limit. Then you can set a curve going down to the bottom of the graph, and the pitch will follow.

It's not perfect, but you can read more on the manual page here:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Time_Tracks

I believe both of these functions are both beta-only, but the latest beta is stable, so that's not a problem.
  4. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Awesome!

Thanks FOJ.

Funny how you think you know a program pretty well, simple enough menu's, and you find out it does alot more then you ever thought it could do..

Bill