1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Install SDK without FSX?

Discussion in 'SDK installation' started by preynolds, 4/3/10.

1. preynolds

preynolds

unitedkingdom
    Hi all,

I would like to use a laptop to do some GMax design work but cannot export to an FSX mdl as the SDK is not currently installed.

Am I right in thinking that I cannot install the SDK without also first installing FSX? (I cannot check myself as currently I've not got the FSX disks with me to try to install the SDK).

If I cannot install the SDK I guess I could still copy the gamepack files to the laptop to create "FSX ready" gmax files, but would have to compile them on my desktop PC later. Would this work?

Many thanks

Phil
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    No, you cannot "install" the SDK(s) without FSX being installed on the local machine, as the SDK installer looks for the Registry entries for FSX to locate the Root Folder Setup Path...

...however, you can copy the entire SDK from one machine to another, and then create the required Registry entries for the SDK manually. Fortunately it's not terribly complex, as are the entries for FSX itself!

This is necessary because the MaxScripts used in the FSX SDK look for the Registry entry values to build the pathnames when they are run.

1. Create a new Key for "microsoft games"
    2. Create a new Key for "Flight Simulator X SDK" as a child of "microsoft games"
    3. Create a new String Value for "SdkRootdir", and Edit the Value to point to where you've copy/pasted the FSX SDK (don't forget the final \)
    4. Create a new String Value for "SetupPath", and Edit the Value to point to where you've copy/pasted the FSX SDK using the pattern shown in the screenshot (again, don't forget the final \).

[​IMG]
  3. preynolds

preynolds

unitedkingdom
    Hi Bill,

Many thanks for the detailed reply, I'll give it a go later!

Phil
  4. n4gix

unitedstates
    No problem. As it happens, your question was serendipitously timed, as I was actually in the process of doing precisely this at the time you asked!!!

I had forgotten to (re)create the Registry entries myself, and couldn't figure out why the Max9 FSX Tools wouldn't work properly... :rotfl:

I don't have FS9 or FSX installed on my development machine at all, even though I model and program gauges on it every day. I have another computer in the other room that is a dedicated FS machine, and everything is saved across the network to that computer.
  5. preynolds

preynolds

unitedkingdom
    Hi Bill,

This worked a treat, thanks again :)

Phil
  6. n4gix

unitedstates
    Bernardo, I wrote four simple steps in very clear English, and even provided a screenshot to illustrate.

I honestly do not know how to make it even more clear... :confused:
  7. n4gix

unitedstates
    Then you did something wrong. What that "something" might be I have no way of knowing, since I can't sit in front of your computer. ;)
  8. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    Have another option i discovered that works , after having tried the other methods , regedit, folder location i decided to install from disk, just the 3 SDK exe`s in sequence , rtm from the delux disk one and Accell with 1a and sp2.

To my utter astonishment max booted up perfectly with tools and export working as expected.

Didnt need to install FSX afterall , go figure.
  9. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    Thanks Chuck, then you are saying that just installing the Sdk could work ?, it would be great. :cool:
    Last edited: 16/1/12
  10. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    It worked fine , the last thing i thought might work did work , too bad i tried it last i tried last...
  11. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I tried but gmax give me an error, something about microsoft.directx.direct3dx is not found. weird thing because both computer, laptop and tower have the same software, but one W7 34 and the other which work w/ 64 bits.but I can live without this.:eek:
    Anyway good you get that working, congratulations.will be interesting if you could work with modelconvetex and another tools as well.:confused::D
  12. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    During the setup process i installed MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 , a required runtime and wasnt sure it was in the W7 os , i tried to cover all the bases having wired 2 new hp W7 computers into the network over the holiday period due to post Xmas deals too good to ignore at tiger direct. I noticed a bunch of old stuff wasn`t included with W7 and a bunch new stuff came pre loaded i wish wasnt , the 107 updates it needed was no comfort but i digress.

Re bouncing models , to some extent i contributed a chapter to the book on the subject, ( Google ) though by bouncing to 3ds files for exchanging between max and gmax , blender is another tool in the kit as is model converter x .

No tool can compare to BFF in value , had my bacon saved with that so often i should send a donation to the scripts author.
    Last edited: 17/1/12
  13. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    What mean "re bouncing models" ? :D
    I don't know if involve myself in this issue, there are many bits here with developing to tie up, to mess up moreover.
  14. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    Model conversion , referring to model converterX
  15. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    All right, thanks I had an idea. I think I'm going to get Sdk working in the laptop, for sure.:cool:
  16. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    When export the object, the export fail, just say that, "fail to export", all seem work but something lack in the recipe