1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid Cruise Speed Value

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by gsnde, 8/3/09.

1. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Don,

when trying to add an aircraft to a specific aircraft list, I get an "The Value of Cruise Speed is invalid" error. The cruise speed in question is: cruise_speed=500.743 (F-104). Why is that value invalid? Edited: I just checked that if you create a new aircraft list this aircraft does not cause an error message.

Then I like to suggest a new feature: Can you implement a delta finder for adding aircrafts to an aircraft list? So you point it to a base folder, it scans the sub folders and lists all aircraft not already included? That would be a very cool & convenient feature :D
    Last edited: 8/3/09
  2. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Martin, I am unable to duplicate the "invalid cruise speed" problem - even if I use a comma rather than a period for the decimal seperator. That error message is only issued if you attempt to enter a non-numeric value for cruise speed. Was there, perhaps, a space or other non-printing character in front of the numeric info? If not, can you provide any further details, please?

I assume you mean it lists all the aircraft already included.

There is already such a feature. Open the Aircraft Editor and click on the "Select" button for Aircraft Folder. That gives you a list of the available aircraft folders in a treeview format. Click on any folder and if it contains only a single variant, that variant is shown in the "Aircraft Title" text box of the Aircraft Editor. If more than one variant, the "Aircraft Title" text box becomes a combobox which lists all the included variants.

Or have I misimterpreted your intent?

Don
  3. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    The error is a tricky one :) It had nothing to do with the specific airplane but happens with every one - if you do it the way I did, that is....

Try this:

• start AIFP
    • select Aircraft -> Open Aircraft Editor / Add aircraft
    • select a aircraft folder
    • select an aircraft title
    • click on 'Add All to Aircraft List'

Now you should see the error message.

If you click on the 'Use this Aircraft' button before it works ok. I actually did not see this button. Why not assume that this aircraft should be used when it has been selected? Or if there is more to it than I realize: disable the 'Add All to Aircraft List' button while the 'Use This Aircraft' button has not been pressed.

From my logic I would say:

• You choose the aircraft folder, so the aircraft is what you want (if not, then don't press the 'Add something' button
    • Aside from skipping this aircraft you now have two options: either to add all variations ('Add all' button) or to use the listbox and add one variation ('Add selected').

Does this make sense?
  4. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    As for the feature request: say you structure you aircraft in specific folders. You made one folder for your AI aircraft. These are in the aircraft list you use in AIFP. Now you get some new aircraft you want to add. Other than pointing to the specific folder I was suggesting that you could provide the base folder, AI makes a scan of the aircraft below, compares them to those already in the list (the known ones) and offer you to add only the delta (so the new ones).

Was that clearer? For the way I work with FSX where I have all AI aircraft in one folder this makes sense.
  5. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Don

I was looking at the manual and I don't see anything about the "Use This Aircraft" button(did I miss something, again). However it made sence to me to use that button to add planes, because otherwise AIFP added all the planes in the folder.
    Sounds like Martin would like AIFP to present the user with a list of planes in a folder that are not being used, yet.

Bob
  6. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Bob,

I don't argue against the choice between 'Add only this livery' and 'Add all liveries' (that is the reason I split it into two separate posts). But in the current implementation you have to click on 'Add only this livery' before you can click on 'Add all liveries' - otherwise the error occurs. You should be able to directly click on 'Add all liveries'.

(In this post I have named the buttons for their purpose, not for their real names, since I have no instance of AIFP around.)

And indeed I suggest such a list, but not as an alternative to the current ones but as an additional feature.
    Last edited: 9/3/09
  7. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks, guys.

Re the invalid cruise speed problem, it should be easy to find with your new info and, hopefully, just as easy to fix.

Re the Aircraft Editor buttons, for adding new aircraft, you're right Martin, only two buttons are needed. But, this dialog serves for both adding and modifying aircraft. And, for modify, there's no guarantee that the aircraft (from the Aircraft List) being modified actually exists on the user's system. But, if it does, The dialog needs to cater to the situation where the cruise speed from the Aircraft List is different from the cruise speed in the aircraft data. It would be nice if I could get rid of the third button. But, it's not immediately obvious how to do it. So, the first thing I'll do is rename the "Use This Aircraft" button to "Use Cruise Speed from A/C Data" - which is actually the purpose it serves. Then I'll take some time to reconsider the operation of the buttons.

Re the new feature, with bobbyjack's help, what I think you're suggesting is that the user select a "top-level" aircraft folder (i.e., one that contains one or more aircraft folders that each contain an aircraft.cfg, an .air file, texture and model folders, etc. file) and AIFP scans those folders, lists the aircraft titles that are not already in the Aircraft List, provide a mechanism for the user to select the titles in the list that are to be added to the Aircraft List and, finally, add the selected aircraft to the Aircraft List.

If that's what you're suggesting, it doesn't seem particularly difficult. If that's not what you're suggesting, please provide a step-by-step description.

Don
  8. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    This is exactly what I am suggesting, Don :)
  9. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Invalid cruise speed problem fixed and requested feature introduced in version 1.6.06, just released.

Don
  10. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Highly appreciated. Thank you, Don :)