1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible Overruns

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Bob Keeshan, 2/12/07.

1. Bob Keeshan

Bob Keeshan

unitedstates
    Hi there. First let me say I'm loving ADE. I've been able to do some pretty cool stuff with my home airport.

Now, I'm having a problem with runway overruns. When I select my runway and select to show overruns, ADE shows them on the display. However, when I go into FSX, the overruns don't show up.

Has anyone experienced this, or is it just me?

Thanks.

BK
  2. jvile

jvile

Hello Bob and welcome to ADE

Does this airport you are designing already have a overrun or are you adding one.

Adding one requires selecting the Primary/Secondary menu tab in the runway properties.

If you placed a radio button in the overrun circle then try using the Blastpad circle instead. They are the same and I think ADE understands Blastpad over the word overrun in the XML to compiled BGL.
    Last edited: 2/12/07
  3. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

I tried it, Jim. Selected overun and saved and compiled...none showed in FSX...went to select blastpad but when I opened the dialogue box it was already selected...so I saved, compiled and still no markings in FSX

Derrick
  4. jvile

jvile

I have no problem seeing a new Blastpad in FSX once I compile and FSX recognizes/updates the database.

Overruns do not show up in FSX based on edge payment.

Here is my research post back in 03/07/2007

Using AFCAD in FS9 it always set edgePavement="TRUE"

Using ADE in FSX it always sets edgePavement="FALSE"

If the runway Marking records has edgePavement="TRUE" then Overruns are not honored but <OffsetThreshold and < Blastpads are honored.

If the runway Marking records has edgePavement="FALSE" then Overruns are honored the same as <OffsetThreshold and < Blastpads.

With this in mind we may want to hard code all edgePavement="FALSE" which everything shows or make a note that if a designer sets "TRUE" and then trys to add a Overrun it will not display.
    Last edited: 2/12/07
  5. jvile

jvile

Bob

After reviewing my research that I did back in March let me simplify the following.

A Overrun and a Blastpad are basically the same. Same meaning they add an extension to the runway end that is not understood by FSX as part of the runway.

Now the difference between a Overrun and Blastpad is wheather you want the Yellow chevron lines to show or not.

A Overrun has no yellow chevron lines
    A Blastpad has yellow chevron lines

Here is the catch

If you want a overrun then you must untick the box in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Overrun in the Primary/Secondary Tab

If you want a Blastpad you must place a checkmark in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Blastpad in the Primary/Secondary Tab.

Hope this is understandable. Sometimes my research dates back to a point that I even forget what I researched.
  6. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Bob, I found the problem on my machine...don't know if it will help you. I had two different version of my airport in the addon scenery/scenery folder. Removing the one without the blastpads fixed things.

Derrick
  7. Bob Keeshan

Bob Keeshan

unitedstates
    Thanks. I tried this and it is now correctly showing the overrun and blastpads in FSX.