1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraq Air Base Package - Released from FSUPgrade

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by khaos_56k, 31/8/08.

1. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    To all my fellow FS developers...

I am finally going to release my latest project to the community: Iraq Air Base Package. This is an FS9 only release as I don't own FSX as of yet and the FS9 plate is still overflowing.

It's a VERY basic addon that touches three airfields a few of my previous coworkers have spent time at, or are enjoying right this moment. The bases are Ali AB [ORTL], Joint Base Balad [ORBD], and Kirkuk AB [ORKK]. I plan to continue improving upon this package on a somewhat stead pace (slow) and make those updates available as soon as completed.

ALL textures are 100% from me and my good friend Corel PaintShop.

I would greatly appreciate any input all of you may have. As far as the installer is concerned... I've tested it numerous times (installing and uninstalling on my PC and three others) with no problems. So... Fear NOT!

Without the constant support from everyone here I could never have come this far. I give you all an enormous "THANK YOU" and the next pint's on me!

IABP download page at FSUpgrade.com
  2. =Hollywood=

=Hollywood=

unitedstates
    Ken, not to be controversial but aren't you worried that real lives could be put at stake by releasing such info considering there are still allied troops at those locations?
  3. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    Not at all.

Don't misread my response as curt or offensive. Allow me list my reasonings and you be the judge. Also, know that I am a veteran of the USAF and have worked on more than a few military projects. I fully understand the ramifications of compromised information and "loose lips".

1. All structure placement is based on images obtained via GoogleEarth which, as it seems so few realize, are at least two years old. Anyone on this planet who has a computer and Internet access can view this exact same information and images as easily as me... and in greater detail than I represent in FS or any document I might distribute.

2. What information and images I obtain through the friendships I have forged over the years or past experiences, regardless of the source or what is shown in the images, is purely used as a basis for basic structure and vehicle construction and texturing. Nothing else. No specific data, no specific antennas, no tail numbers... etc...

3. All other placements and representations of structures and vehicles are purely hypothetical and for eye-candy only. Any coincidental placement is purely that... coincidental. Also, if one were to really inspect the GoogleEarth images of any of those three air bases, most of the aircraft shelters don't exist, or are not usable, in the real world.

4. Just how trustworthy and credible is Wikipedia? That's where I acquired the majority of the text for the document accompanying the air base package. And I only repeated general information... not the specific military units, for example, as Wikipedia has.

5. Runway data... check FS9. ALL three airbases exist in FS9. And, as before, the change in IACOs is based on a web search I did looking for Google images of the various bases... as anyone in the world can do. All I did was add the taxiways I could make out from the aforementioned GoogleEarth...

If a simplistic representation of military air bases, regardless of their locations, is an actual issue... maybe we should all stop rendering everything. Confiscate everyone's Flight Simulation software and hardware. Why? Because every little bit of data, image, structure or procedure could be just as compromising to the safety of civilians as well as military.

Do you remember following September 11, 2001 that there as an uproar of people demanding that FS2004 was a terrorist tool and it, and any supporting software and hardware, should be illegal to create, distribute and use? Ridiculous if you ask me...

So, with all that said, until the "Men in Black" come knocking on my door... I shall continue. And believe me... I fear not and I don't tip-toe around.

I hope this answers your concern.
    Last edited: 7/9/08
  4. =Hollywood=

=Hollywood=

unitedstates
    Cool Ken, was worth asking and worth the answer ;)
  5. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    It wasn't a problem.

The questions and observation that should be discussed more often are those of morality and responsibility. I welcome the discourse no matter the subject or individual. Even if I'm wrong.
  6. =Hollywood=

=Hollywood=

unitedstates
    I hear you on that, one of the issues I'm facing now is in needing to get clearance from export.gov and the national geospatial intelligence agency if I want to expand operations into other markets...

I've had to block access to 'banned export' countries as well on my website but still need to do more to ensure safety when it comes to federal law...

Who'd have thought that FS would reach the stage where these issues are starting to come up huh?
    Last edited: 7/9/08
  7. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    WOW! Sounds like a lot of headaches. I wouldn't know the first thing about restricting access to my website nor how to restrict access to specific files... especially from a specific country. I guess that's something for me to keep in mind and research incase, for whatever remote reason, I'm "asked" to do similar.