1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v4 Is it possible to integrate the airport into the background/land

Discussion in 'Terrain Design General' started by johnliem, 13 Sep 2017.

1. johnliem

johnliem

netherlands
    Hello

Is it possible to integrate the airport into the background/land, what I mean when I make a poygon for an airport it looks to sharp, will it be possible to make the edges smoother intergrate to the backgrond/land, thanks

2. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi John:

IIUC, you want to "Blend" edges of a AB CVX vector AB polygon into surrounding FS default land class terrain textures.

If so, this can indeed be done, but ...it is easier to do by using custom photo-real aerial imagery land class textures, such as that which you recently downloaded via SBuilderX to use for a Background Image in ADE's work-space at ICAO WART.

* Airport RWYs / Taxiways / Aprons could still be displayed on top of the custom photo-real aerial imagery textures.

* A Blend Mask gradually fades custom photo-real aerial imagery textures into surrounding FS default land class terrain textures.

* Custom Autogen object annotations and/or scenery library objects would be required, as custom photo-real aerial imagery textures exclude underlying default Autogen objects from display.

Assuming you still have the above cited custom photo-real aerial imagery *.BMP and its associated Geo-referencing *.TXT file in:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work sub-folder

...you can use that 1-piece image *.BMP file derived from all the original downloaded image tiles for the following procedure.

1.) SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Disk... > Browse / Select above cited 1-piece image *.BMP file; click [Open]

2.) Back in SBuilderX work-space:

a.) Zoom out until all edges of the loaded background image area can be seen

b.) Press + Hold Left Mouse button to draw a 'selection frame' over the entire loaded background image area

NOTE: All edges of the background image area should turn Green with Red vertices when 'selected' properly

c.) SBuilderX Menu > File > BGL Compile... < SBuilder BGL Compilation dialog opens >

(1) In SBuilder BGL Compilation dialog > check "Photo Scenery" checkbox, then click [Compile] button

NOTE: A CMD mode task session window will show progress of the BGL compile using FS / P3D Terrain SDK Resample

When finished, Resample will output a "Photo01.BGL", and a "Photo01.INF" into:

3.) Place "Photo01.BGL" into the active \Scenery sub-folder with other airport files created by ADE already in your Scenery Library

4.) Start FS / P3D, load a flight at ICAO WART, and take an inspection flight.

5.) Use the above 1-piece image *.BMP file and associated Geo-referencing *.TXT files and "Photo01.INF" with these tutorials:

"Make photo-real ground textures" by Luis Feliz-Tirado:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

...also cited in this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/black-water-and-several-other-issues.440908/#post-779992

A notable quote - in "Make photo-real ground textures" by Luis Feliz-Tirado:

"The Blend Mask draws pure white on the central part of the image that will display without transparency, and then various levels of gray towards the exterior - these will be partially transparent - and ends in pure black where the default ground will display completely. It is a grayscale TIFF image:"

One may use a gradient transparency in a 256 'color' 8-Bit gray-scale bitmap (BMP) or TIFF to "Blend" into adjacent areas of imagery.

To better visualize results of one's edits, it is easier to use an "Alpha Channel" as a 'layer' within the same TIFF image file, although some prefer to use a separate image as either a 8-Bit gray-scale bitmap (BMP) or TIFF.

Whether a 8-Bit gray-scale Blend Mask is used as a Alpha Channel within the same TIFF image file or a separate image file, it must be specified as a Blend Mask in a 'Multi-source' INF.

BTW: You may also wish to review a tutorial by Tiberius et al: "How to create photoreal scenery for FSX":

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX

Hope this gets you started ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: 14 Sep 2017
  3. johnliem

johnliem

netherlands
    it is is very usefull info indeed, you mention that to use the image I made via SbuilderX, this image is bigger then the area of the airport, actually I want to blend it just around the polygon I made around the airport and it is smaller than that image, can this also be done?

4. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Yes.

You can 'start' the Blend Mask gray-scale gradient which allows transparency from White (RGB 255,255,255) at the outside 'edge' of the airport area ...and then transition the gray-scale values to almost-Black (RGB 1,1,1) at the desired distance away from the airport edge.

That way, the under-lying default land class texture (or water class if there is instead a Hydro polygon area underneath) ...gradually begins to show through to the 'top' of the custom photo-real aerial imagery texture. :pushpin:

IMHO, one should avoid 'complications' by NOT using pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) in a Blend Mask. :alert:

You may, of course, wish to sharpen and color match a COPY of the aerial imagery BMP file first before processing it via Resample along with the Blend Mask using a "Multi-source" INF file. ;)

GaryGB

5. johnliem

johnliem

netherlands
    okay, but how can I get the image around the polyground, via Sbuilderx or ADE?

6. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Please explain more clearly what you mean by that. :scratchch

GaryGB

7. johnliem

johnliem

netherlands
    You said that I need the file which I made from SbuilderX . But the airport i am working is smaller than that file, around the airport I cover it with polygon which the edges very sharp. I want only this sharp edges blend. So can you tell me how can I get the sharp edge part to blend. thanks.

8. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi John:

Please review the tutorials I cited and linked to above:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-into-the-background-land.441013/#post-780945

To create a Blend Mask, open a COPY of your ICAO WART custom photo-real aerial imagery *.BMP file cited above, located at:

..in ex: PhotoShop; then follow the steps for Blend Masks as presented in the above cited tutorials:

Blend Mask

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

[Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX tutorial install path]/Make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_FS_X/Make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_FS_X.html#Blend_Mask

...and:

PART III - Watermasks and Blendmasks (continued)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/show...otoreal-scenery-for-FSX&p=1690201#post1690201

NOTE: The latter tutorial shows GIMP, but PhotoShop has comparable feature capabilities for Layers / Channels, Brush tips, transparency, etc.

GaryGB

9. johnliem

johnliem

netherlands
    I will thanks Gary.