1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a program to parse XML files and

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Vector, 17/1/07.

1. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    extract information?
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Can you explain exactly what you are looking for? Are you asking for something that will create some sort of database from an XML file? If that file is the xml for a scenery bgl file then you could use my Scenery Design Engine - this extracts the information contained in the bgl file directly - it also makes the XML available for compilation with BGLComp. The build on my website is not complete but there will be a complete one in about one week's time.

Or maybe you want something else?
  3. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Just a parsing program to pick out what I select to use from any XML file.
    Going to a database would be nice too.
  4. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    If you are looking for a really general parser, you can try MSXML from Microsoft. Search for it in the downloads section of microsoft.com. Don't forget to get the version with the SDK, not just the runtime.

Flight simulator uses version 4, but feel free to use any version you like. Just don't expect a magic bullet. It will still require a good amount of programming on your part.

Cheers,
    Sean
  5. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Take a look at SDE and see if that is doing the kind of thing you want. It provides a way to extract all the data. As mentioned above the current available build is not complete but the new one does almost everything (I am away from home so will not upload it until I return at the middle of next week),

Alternatively if you use a dotNET based programming language then I would recommend that you use one of the XML classes in there rather than MSXML. These classes provide the parsing tools needed to extract what you want from an XML file. There are full document processing classes as well as faster forward only XML reader classes.
  6. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    If you are coding in C#/.Net, the .NET framework has a lot of XML parsing facilities built in (basically parses the XML file into a node tree structure in memory - pretty much the same thing that the MSXML SDK will do from a C/C++ program.

If you just want to READ an XML file on-screen, you can double click on an .XML file and it will load up in IE or you can just open it in Notepad (XML files are just text files with special formatting and tagging)