1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a region code vs country code list?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Vector, 13/2/07.

1. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    I am looking for a master list.
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    For which version of FS?
  3. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Woops!

Actually both, if different, for FS9 and FSX.
  4. scruffyduck

wales
    well it is different as far as I know. For FSX the SDK gives some information about it. I am not sure there is any kind of list. Can I ask what you want it for? Most airports in FS9 and FSX do not have any region information although there is a place for it.
  5. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    I looked through the FSX SDK and couldn't find any list that shows what regions are used in each country (by code). Example, regions K2 is in what country? Well I know it's in US by looking at the APX files. But a master list would be really helpful and also would save coding time.

I developed a flight planner and I need this type of list.
  6. jvile

jvile

7. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Thanks for link.

The problems is that MS uses a code such as 'K2'. There is no such code like that that I can find.
  8. scruffyduck

wales
    As I mentioned above, unless a list already exists it might be quite difficult to generate. Basically the best way would be if the name records for airports contained the Region ID then it sould be quite easy to generate something by listing the countries by RegionID. Unfortunately most airport name records do not appear to contain a region. Most Navaids and Waypoints seem to so I guess it could be done by inference if terminal Navaids have regions and airport ICAOs to form the link.

I've just done a quick test in SDE - Looking at the Airport list by Country etc I have looked through Afghanistan and can't find a terminal record at an airport that will give a region code.

If you know your geography then it seems most Ndbs contain a region ID so for example the Ndb NG TASHKENT is in Region UT The Ndb for Santiago is in region LE, Porto in LP Bordeaux in LF, Casablanca in GM, Teneriffe in GC - is there a pattern there?

It also seems that some countries (The US for example have multiple 'regions' Those starting with K appear to cover the US and some elements of Canada. Chicago is in K5 , Tampa in K7, Juneau in K5, Ottowa in K5
    Last edited: 14/2/07
  9. jvile

jvile

That is because they are REGION IDENT codes that MS uses to coincide with the recommended navaid required by ARINC 424.

Because the USA uses 4 character Knnn as a ICAO/REGION code and the rest of the world uses 2 characters (excluding some of Canada) MS needed a way to define 2 character code for navaid/approach data.

K1 Starts in the NW of the USA and K numbers go higher from west to east.

The fixRegion field is a string of 2 characters maximum which is consistant with the entire world except the USA.

The required field for ARINC is a Recommended Navaid (MS calls it a recommendedType="VOR") but MS also needs to know the Region it nest in so they use the K number rather then the 2 character Country/Region code. It is common to find Navaids around the world with the same Ident but the Region Code identifies who they belong to. The GPS receiver in FS will list all duplicate Navaids in the entire database but they are never in the same Country/Region Code.

recommendedType="VOR"
    recommendedRegion="K7"
    recommendedIdent="UXM"

or

fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT"
    fixRegion="K7"
    fixIdent="KOJAK"

"NAV fix Idents =" or "recommended type=" follow the ARINC protocol and again in MS they must nest in a specified Region of a country which is defined as 2 characters.

Approach code with the wrong fixRegion Ident will compile but the GPS/FMC receiver will not display the approach chart correctly in FS.