1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there tutorial for beginners ?

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by bilookhan, 13/9/08.

1. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    Hi

I am new in this field and I am interested in designing an airport for AUH.
    However, I am so new at this I can't seem to figure out where to start.
    I understand there are many tools for different purposes.

Are there any tutorials guides on where to start.

Basically, what I want to achieve is to design the buildings of Abu Dhabi International Airport. And I am guessing from this is that I might need to work on the terrain first, build the proper afcad file and then design the airport building structure.

If there aren't any tutorials, can someone guide me on how to start and where and what to look for ?

Thanks.
  2. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    oh btw, this is for fs2004.
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    If you are looking to create buildings then you need to use GMax or similar. Ther are many tutorials on using GMax and you can find a lot of them here www.scenery.org/tutorials.htm Somewhere down the page is the stuff for GMax

If you need to change the AFCAD the nyou will need to use AFCAD2.21. Tha manual for this program is pretty good. Finally if you do need to modify the terrain then you will need something like SBuiilder. There are some tutorials on installing and using SBuilder on www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk
  4. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    Thanks for the startup.... I have downloaded the gmax :) and its tutorials.
    I am going to study this a bit ....

i'll post some questions if i come across a bump.
    thanks again.
  5. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    Hi

I found this link which was very helpful in getting me started:
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gmax_installation_guide_for_FS2004

I have a quick question though, if I build my local airport from scratch using Afcad, and also build the buildings using gmax, and then add to addon scenery in fs9, would it replace over the existing default scenery or would there be clash between two sceneries ?
  6. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    The AFCAD should exclude any airport elements such as runways and taxiway. However you would need to do something about buildings etc that are in the default airport and you do not want. This requires an exclusion rectangle or maybe several. Another area to watch out for expecially in FS9 are taxi signs. The stock ones can be difficult to get rid of.

For FS9 a tool like ExcBuilder2 can generate what is needed to remove unwanted buildings.
  7. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    ah thanks, that makes more sense.
    I am going to definitely try this.
    I guess before even testing my initial afcad scenery, I need to exclude the whole omaa scenery first right ?

One more thing, is there a big significant difference between using Gmax for designing buildings than FS design studio ?
    I am guessing they are more or less the same thing.
  8. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    Hey Jon, thanks for the head start,
    till now i managed to get this far using gmax design.

[​IMG]

To apply for textures, if i want to hand paint textures, how should I go abt it ?
    Does the same principle apply to doing paint job for aircraft ?

Thanks ....
    This scenery is just a start for OMAA, terminal 3 is the next part to build on ....
  9. bilookhan

bilookhan

canada
    ok i found some additional stuff abt textures .... will go through and give it a go.
  10. Here for the Beer

Here for the Beer

unitedkingdom