1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It has Begun... FS9 to FSX Conversion...

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by lionheart, 7/2/11.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey all,

Ok, the knot in my stomach has grown to maximum 'knottage'. Sweat pouring from my forehead, my palms sweaty, dripping... Nerves are 'nervous'...

It is time. Time to convert my model from FS9 format to FSX format. Easy, some say.... hmmm...

I decide on an awesome tactic this time on the actual model conversion. One of the main issues is materials when converting planes over. But I have some awesome 'already created' materials on hand from past pure FSX models. So, the Lord blesses me with an amazing thought! Open an existing FSX model, delete the model, and merge in the pure FS9 model. This will supply all the existing materials I need for FSX. Just transfer in the existing PSD files for the new project into the graphics slots of the FSX existing, preset materials. I 'save' as the new FSX version, next number up of the new project, even in its own folder.

I hit save. So far so good. I merge in the Dynamic. Only 'Flat Black' is the dual named material issue. I change the name to Flat Black FS9. 'OK'. Fine... (I feel like a U-Boot commander beneath the English Fleet at Gibraltor, sweat pouring off my brows, the Dynamic is my precious cargo to get through the impossible straits... )

Seems fine. I have now deleted the beautiful Victory, then merged in the Dynamic, saved the scene, saved as next one up so I can backstep. I hide the parts of the shadow model. I then save again.. (Oh yes, so cautious, this thing, this FSX Gmax will not crash on me in this 'so tense' of a moment, as like it is a great, strategic battle of something). With a sweaty finger, I mouse up over to the 'Material Library' button (pronounced Booo Tone in this war like drama) and click the ML button...

DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crash window: Gmax has decided to ruin your moment. Please feel free to freak out. Tell your gray eyebrows we said hey. Oh, if you want to save this mess, click ok to rescue said mess... ' I click cancel. I stair at the new cleared screen, the beautiful Dynamic, gone, my desktop looking quiet and normal...

sweat drips onto the damp map table before the conning tower ladder, oops, I mean my desk. I think, puzzled. Did I say or think something wrong? Did Gmax hear me? I wonder, puzzled. How did it discover my strategy and land a depth charge right over us? I mean me... hmmm.... Again, I exclaim! I will be David, and Gmax FSX is Goliath, and I will win with faith! (Did I mention that I had just prayed for a blessing on this project? Yes.. I REALLY did, as I know how rough this can get).

I fire up FSX Gmax again. I boot up the scene. DING!!!!!!!!!! Crash, taunting words at me in French this time. I close it. Reopen again, this time undaunted. Again, like a loud, thunderous depth charge, shaking the desk, awaking my crue, Junior... DING!!!!!!!! Yiew bloooody kah-niggggit! You keen noht weeen, yiewr mother was a hahm-steeer and ... I close.

How peaceful the desktop can be... I stair at it. I think of the Universe. I think about faith. I talk to God. I will restart the entire thing.

I get on the Mic and tell the crew we are coming about again for another stab at getting through the straits. This time, I do not bring in my 'Misc' bits in the fresh clean merge. (Perhaps there was a bit that contaminated everything! I am onto you Gmax FSX....!) My hands firm, I am going through the keyboard and mouse motions with zest and faith.. I load up the Victory, delete, load up 'selected parts of the Dynamic, merge, save... No depth charges.. I then save as next build up... Still no depth charges. I feel like the Captain in Lothar Bucheims book Das Boot. We are almost through, men!!!! Junior stairs up at me, wondering why 'gray eyebrowed master' is freaking out...

I have saved.. Merged.. Strategically forseen my victory in this battle... when it comes, thundering in, just as I raise the periscope button 'Material Library'...

DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booom.. the Dynamic ship is again lost.. It will not open. Both files, cancelled out in the blink of an eye, with the sound effect of the famed Gmax crash.

Battles... How they play with our minds.

I will take a brake... I need a brake.. I make my way out of the control room, into my bunk and have Number One bring me a beer. There must be a way...
    Last edited: 7/2/11
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Interesting story, Bill.

Might I suggest a somewhat more subtle approach? Merge only a few parts at a time and test, test, test! ;)
  3. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    I've had Gmax pull something like this on me only once - in maybe four weeks of using it.

Not to mention the half a dozen random crashes...

It's not that 3DS Max is rock stable either, but at least I can crash it intentionally when pressing "M" twice as kind of a tradeoff it very rarely crashes without me doing anything offensive.

Anyways, great read Bill. "Das Boot" is a great book, isn't it? :D

(There is hope though. There were quite a few u-boats which managed to slip by Gibraltar unharmed. :D)
  4. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    Bill + subtlety.... you still believe in miracles?
  5. n4gix

unitedstates
    ...but not unarmed, I suspect!
  6. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    Hold and Fetch might get you past the occasional tight spot, although Bill's step by step ought to help.
  7. mjahn

mjahn

The more I stare at your account I am wondering whether this is the notorious gmax material crash - never do anything in the material editor unless the Material Navigator window is open as well.
  8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Thanks guys...

Yep, a couple...

MJahn, that had occurred to me earlier and I did try that, and the exact same thing happened, unfortunately. I also tried it with another plane package/scene.

Bill, that looks like it will be the alternative, importing parts at a time with diff materials and assign those to the parts as they are imported. It will be time consuming, but apparently the only way.. . arrgh.. (refuses to bang head on desk, as the bandages dont allow full impact).
  9. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    Actually firing off a torpedo in the vicinity of the british base would be one of the worst ideas ever.
  10. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Roger that. The U-Boots were only trying to sneak through. What Prein tried to do in U-96 was to use the current to pull him through during the night, everything shut off. That was his plan. Didnt work. They did get away though, probably the only one, after sitting for three days on the bottom, 3X past their maximum depth..

Great book.
  11. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Well, I made a discovery. The materials in the Dynamic are shutting down/crashing FSX Gmax. It isnt the FSX planes that was doing it.

What I just tried, twice, was to save the FSX plane onto its own Hierarchy, then bring in the Dynamic and save it to its own Hierarchy so I had them both in the scene, thinking if the model was present, then it wouldnt crash when I clicked the Material Library button. I also had the Material Navigator 'on'.

DINGGGGG!!!

arrgh..

I then opened the Dynamic saved in the FS9 format, clicked the ML button, and sure enough, crash... Ding.. DING DING DING DAMN DING!!! arrgh...
  12. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Well, I found it. I was 'talking to God' and asked 'how can I find the bad material that is crashing FSX Gmax... and it came into my mind, 'try importing parts from materials that look suspicious' and I jumped up and began doing that. After part number 6 or 7, I came upon one that looked odd. Said in brackets Missing Texture. I double clicked on it and a paragraph under the Material Editor stated 'This Class does not have an implemantation supplied by any of the currently loaded DLL's'. I noted the part name in FS9 Gmax, Alt-Tabbed over to FSX Gmax (both running), and Merged that part into FSX Gmax. I then hit Material Library button and sure enough, DING..! Gmax crashed.

Oddly, the FS9 Gmax can handle the missing odd Texture material, but FSX Gmax crashes immediately and corrupts the file, disabling it from being opened again by FSX Gmax for repairs, locking it... by just tapping that Material Library icon....

Thought I would share the information.

I am going to post this in a new post without the U-Boot story so when people get this crash in the future, they will hopefully see the Post on it.

EDIT: I took a screenshot of this thing before deleting it. This shows it without any parts assigned, the parts that should be in the bracket zone are missing. I had just moved them out to another 'invisible' Material I had and 'then' took the screenshot. With no parts in it, that material would not have Merged over and not contaminated or corrupted the FSX Gmax scene. Only with that 'missing material' in there, would this have occurred. If a material has no assigned parts, there is hardly any way to import it into a scene.

Bill
    Last edited: 27/5/11
  13. n4gix

unitedstates
    I'm happy to hear you found your problem, but that begs the question of just where the heck that came from to begin with! :confused:
  14. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I wondered that....

My first thoughts were that it was a material generated by Poser on the prototype (early build) people mesh. Then there was the backpack and sunglasses purchased from TurboSquid. They had alot of materials and might have been from LightWave or the like, so I figured those were it. None of them....

It happened to be a black material I had for two Tick_18's that were in black. I can only figure the materials were corrupt.

There is the point that it could be a left over Max2009 material that somehow came back into the mix (backfire?) and was saved into the system somehow, (part migrated in and out of 3DS?).

I wont even waste my time on tracking it exactly as to the cause. Time is money and the problem, thank the Lord, has been solved. I am so thankful.

Too many Fubars in FSX Gmax, lol.... Buggy!

EDIT: Speaking of Fubars, I must have had 5 crashes today 'after' I found the corrupted material and had that fixed. There are months that I go without a single crash. Then there is the past week with a record number as of to date.