1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Just trying to change Airline Codes in Parking place, but having problems

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by mesaba116, 19/9/10.

1. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    I have an existing ADE file where all I am attempting to do is change the Airline parking codes and change the size on a single space. But after I compile it, the radio frequencies and the buildings disappear. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
  2. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    hi,
    we need a little bit more information,
    did you start with a stock ADE airport?
    or did you open from a BGL?
    if so what utility made the bgl
  3. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    Airport was created with an older version of ADE (circa 2008 - Jim Vile's KMSP.) Opened from an existing bgl file. When I compiled changes and put the new ,bgl in the Add On Scenery/Scenery Folder, the only radio frequency available was KMSP traffic. I imported the stock Comm Radios, but they still weren't available.
  4. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    I believe I remember making similar parking changes to the file with version 1.42, but now that I've recompiled and am having the issues with the missing items, I've downloaded Jim's file again from Avsim, so I'm starting from scratch again with the modifications. Is there something special I'm supposed to be doing to modify an ADE file and save in ADEX format? For what it's worth, Jim's original file also has a landclass poly file included -- not sure if that creates any unique twists for modifying and saving to ADEX?
    Thanks for your help.
  5. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    Any ideas? I'd really like to get the Humphrey parking changed to reflect the present.
  6. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    That's very difficult to answer as we can't see what Jim has done to this airport, as i take it you do not have the original ADE file and are working from a BGL!!
    Jim has more skills and experience than many of us developers to create a correct working airport .........
    So i have to ask the question,
    I wonder why you are taking someone else's file, have problems and continue to have problems, when only Jim will know what he has done to the airport, so we are just as blind as yourself......
    Would it not be easier to create your own airport from scratch?
    perhaps then it would be a lot easier to help you when you start with a Stock airport!
    after all that is the main idea of ADE, to be able to create/design your own airport with your own ideas :)
  7. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    Sorry to have intruded.

Since my goal was only to change the parking codes to reflect current assignments, I hadn't intended to completely re-build the airport. I was very appreciative of Jim to offer me the opportunity to test this airport before it was released. Since I was able to make the same type of changes with 1.42, I thought it an appropriate question to ask if there are particular challenges relating to modifying w/ 1.47.
  8. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    There should be no difference in the way that V 1.47 handles changes. Just so I understand.

You have a bgl file and when you open it in ADE and modify it frequencies and buildings disappear? From where? ADE or FS? When you say frequencies go - what frequencies? Those at the airport in FS? Do all the buildings go or just some of them? Are there any buildings shown in ADE when you load the bgl file?
  9. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    I open the .bgl file in ADEX, version 1.47. When I check Lists>Comms, there are no frequencies displayed. Save the airport, so it becomes a .ad2 extension. Open the project, make the parking spot changes. Save the project, compile it, and move the created .bgl file to the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.
    When I open up Flight Sim, the only available radio frequency is KMSP Traffic, but otherwise, the file is unaffected. I then modified the project, loading Comm Frequencies, Nearby Airports, Navaids and Waypoints, and Approaches. Save the project, re-compile and load into FSX. This time, I still only have KMSP parking frequency, and the majority of the buildings in the scenery are gone. Any ideas what's happening.

I did notice that I have a back-up .ade file of KMSP dating back to August of 2009. Maybe I'd have better luck modifying that project file as opposed to creating a project from an already existing .bgl?

Thanks for your attention.
  10. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Well if the bgl file you are starting with has no comms in it then passing it through ADE will still result in a file with no comms. To get them back you need to go to Tools and Load Stock Data which I presume is what you did?

I am not sure about the buildings. Can you please email me the bgl file you started with to jon AT scruffyduck.co.uk? We generally don't recommend starting from someone elses bgl file but from a stock airport.
  11. jvile

jvile

I came across this post in my recent absense and since it is my KMSP I need to respond to mesaba116.

The problem you are having is my fault and not the fault of ADE9X. When I built KMSP I did some XML work by hand to place certain type scenery.

Looking at my original upload to AVSIM I also noted that all the Comms are blank in my ADE9X KMSP. Nothing wrong with that since I left out the

deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"

and FS is falling back on the root stock airport to read the Comms. Problem is when you open my KMSP bgl make changes with a newer version of ADE9X and save we are adding back the deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" in ADE and now since no FREQ's are listed in KMSP ADE9X to begin with this tells FS to stop falling back on the stock Comms.

mesaba116, If by chance you see this or my PM, I can send a working XML of my KMSP since I accidently left comms out of the final version you have. Let me also just say that Jon and Ray in my absence could only answer your problem in the way they saw it and they did not have any pass history or knowledge of the work you and I did with KMSP.
  12. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    Thanks Jim -- I discovered that I had an ADE work file in the work folder of an older version of ADE. I was able to open that project up with 1.47, the radio comm frequencies were intact, and I could make the parking space changes I needed to. Thanks everyone for your help!
  13. mesaba116

mesaba116

us-minnesota
    I may have spoken too soon

Hi Jim -- I just noticed the ATC is only offering visual approaches into KMSP (I hadn't noticed until now because I usually depart MSP.) Any ideas about whether the approach data can be restored? Thanks for your attention.
  14. jvile

jvile

You can import the stock approch data back into your MSP airport but you won't get the 17/35 approach data since I added it.