1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX King Air 350 Overhaul

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Spartan0536, 5/5/12.

1. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    Im sure many of us here love King Air's with Carenado's C90B release being as stunning as it is, some people don't want to spend 35 USD on an aircraft or some others prefer the larger King Air 350. I am wondering if anyone is interested in taking the Default King Air 350 and reworking it VC & Model or at least just the VC?
  2. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
  3. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    You quite honestly don't realize the scope of what you're asking for. Creating even an "average quality" VC equal to the default is several HUNDRED hours of work, never mind an "AFG quality" VC model! :D
  4. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    I honestly don't know how much time it takes, I tried but its complicated for a beginner. I just think its sad that no one other than AFG for FS2004 has tried to make a really nice VC. Maybe there is some way to at least "extract" a VC Model from the AFG King Air for FSX?
  5. EdGeneer

EdGeneer

unitedstates
    Spartan, this sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to hone your skills at aircraft design, and get your feet wet on a KingAir 350!!!

I dont envy ANY aircraft designer... It seems, and I can only imagine, that its complicated for the pros as well :D
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    One part at a time.... Thats how they are made. Make a rocker switch, then map it, then create a texture for it on a texture sheet. You start from there.

Its a long long road...... (as the song goes). But you might be really impressed with it as you can add things into that Beech that you have always wanted. It will be under your command to do with it what you will. Ask for help when you need it, etc.

I love it.... Building planes. It can be overwhelming for me as I tend to go overboard, but I come back.

Have fun.

Bill
  7. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    I wouldn't mind getting into it, its just I dont have that much free time between college courses, work, flight school, gaming clan responsibilities, and my fiancee. Not to mention I am already an editor for ArmA II Missions and Mods.
  8. chris

chris

indonesia
    I've redone the default King Air gau file as a cab file but you'll need to extract the bitmaps from the original gau file if you're interested.
  9. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    redone huh, sounds interesting, im sure i can unpack them given about 30 minutes on the web searching for the tools needed, just wonder why no one other than AFG ever tried to add in the default GPS to the panel, its a pain.
  10. Joao Muas

Joao Muas

portugal
    I made a VC for the Super King Air B200 by ISDT, International Simulation Design Team, from the default FSX King Air 350.

The VC works exactly as the original 350, only some textures were made in a diferent color, in this early release. The external ISDT model features, the parking bits and all that, were added to the VC to match.

I made this because I like the ISDT model very much, and I think it deserved a virtual cockpit, and also as a development test.

Next I decided to upgrade the default 350 gauges, and I have a new set of Collins EADI and EHSI, and also a new throttle quadrant, all XML (not released yet). A new autopilot panel is on the works too. I also intended to rework the VC texturing to a higher resolution.

Here's the link for the ISDT Super King Air B200 Virtual Cockpit upgrade. It's just up to the default 350 standards, for now. I'd like to hear your coments, thanks.
  11. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Sounds like you hit a major blessing there Spartan!

Gauges converted to XML, a new cockpit! Nice......!

With gauges converted to XML, you could increase their gauge size to 300 pixels and introduce some photo real gauge faces.

Man, what you could do.....

Bill
  12. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    Agreed, wow, Downloading now, this is good news indeed. King Air's are awesome!

Got it to work, some of the gauges are clearly better looking, the VC performs very well systems seem to be stable. As a request could you please add in the default GPS into the panel so that its like the real thing, im not sure why MS did not do this. AFG has this on their VC and its great, keep up the awesome work!
    Last edited: 9/5/12
  13. Joao Muas

Joao Muas

portugal
    I believe you mean to add the default GPS to the VC panel... MS probably didn't add it because the "GPS always on" in the VC added an impact on frame rate and it didn't provide a proper reading, so they kept as a popup panel, they were very fps savy at that time.
    Be aware that I made a VC for the B200 and not for the 350 - among other bits in the cockpit itself, wing views are diferent.
    For the B200 I intended to add a limited funtionality WXR270 and a KLN90 GPS, although I didn't find a freeware one... so I might consider the default GPS 500 in place of the above two...
    Adding the default GPS 500 to the 350 VC would be another major re-work... I mean, not to add the GPS itself - that's the easy part - but what it takes to reach that purpose...
    Last edited: 10/5/12
  14. chris

chris

indonesia
    Wow! You will post the link won't you?
    It will save me about 30 days of work converting them by hand.
  15. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Chris,

Every time I see that avatar of yours, I crack up... Love it!
  16. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    well Carenado is now working on a King Air B200 which depending upon the version they release could very well be similar to a King Air 300/350 which then I could find a way to use the Carenado VC in the default. Just about anything Carenado is worth buying their C90B is fantastic after SP2.
  17. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    Their C90 is ok... but it's far from accurate in systems. It's also a rather old aircraft that's not been made for many years.

I'm surprised no one's doing a current King Air.
  18. RB211

RB211

us-california
    I've flown right seat in a King Air C90, just basically running the radios. From a pilots point of view, the simulator is an excellent procedural trainer, IF the systems are done correctly.
    From a flight sim enthusiast point of view, you want something as real as it can possibly be, except you wouldn't have a clue to that unless you fly the real thing. Hmm... This is a team effort, a single human being can't possibly do it justice. I dare say the PMDG 737 NGX is the top dog, mainly because of the number of people who worked on it, including BOEING.
    What makes an add-on aircraft stand out are the small details. Especially for me, that is system modeling. It is really the systems that make a C90 a C90, or a 737 a 737. You can throw all the eye candy in the world at it, like Captain Sim, but unless the systems are modeled accurately you don't really have a sim.
  19. Spartan0536

Spartan0536

us-florida
    Carenado is now doing a King Air B200, thats modern, I am hoping it comes with the Rockwell Collins Pro Line 21 system. They are also making a Daher TBM850 which is a glass cockpit system.
  20. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    What it's said above, I "think" that for real pilots must be a excellent procedural trainer, beyond that I think Fs is no enough, but with a good model and a real Flight manual or POH you can familiarize with the airplane enough, and for the price all this is great. :cool: