1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Library objects

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Jes, 5/6/07.

1. Jes

Jes

Hi, as you probably can see of my questions I'm pretty newbie on scenery design. My questions relates to both FS2004 and FSX.

If I know the GUID of an object from the default scenery library, is there any way to find all the places (read: coordinates) where this object is used in the scenery?

If I visually find an object in the default scenery at a certain location, how do I determine the identification of this object (GUID or name)?
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

No, that is not really easy. Maybe if you decompile all the default placement BGL files you can search through them for the GUID. But it is not really easy.

That is also quite tricky. You might have some success in decompiling the placement BGL again, so that you can see which object is placed at (or around) the coordinates you are looking at. But this will not be very easy to do again.
  3. Jes

Jes

OK, no easy solution, but thanks anyway.
    One of my problems is the TV masts (or whatever we should call them) from the default scenery. I see in the default scenery that these are placed with different heights/lengths (not elevation) reflecting the real-world objects (there is plenty of them around N47° 20.53' W97° 17.35'). Not sure about this, but I think the same GUID is used but with different heights. However, the SceneryObject element has no height attribute. Do you know how I can use the generic mast with variable heights?
  4. BASys

BASys

scotland
    Hi Folks

Jes -
    Only a quick guess,
    so this may not be fully correct as regards placement.

AFAIK
    The FSX default masts are all the same height,
    but they're buried by differing amounts
    to give the appearance of different height AGL.

e.g.
    Go to KMSO in the default B206,
    staying on the ground
    slew to the group of mast's vicinity.

Change to the nose camera view,
    zoom out to 0.3.

Now look at the lower edge of the screen
    and you'll see a pale blue strip
    this is a subterranean view.

You can see the various mast's feet buried underground.

How you accomplish this may be a case of trial & error.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul
  5. Jes

Jes

Paul, I have just tested this in FSX and this is exactly how it works. Thanks alot.