1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LibraryObject weirdness??

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Mace, 25/4/07.

1. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    The following guid:

{1db1d8a2-de94-4589-832f-c9cab54eda7e}

...seems to create HALF of the airport terminal building at MPTO. My question is, where is the other half?

I used SDE to decompile the OBX file. Perhaps SDE did not decompile all of the file?

Attached is test.xml, which
    1) excludes the default MPTO main terminal building
    2) calls the above guid LibraryObject, and places it a little east of the default

If you compile this, and go to MPTO in your FSX, you should see HALF of the terminal building. Compare it to the default terminal building. You'll see what I mean.

What is going on here? Am I forgetting something obvious?

Attached Files:

• test.xml
      File size:
      791 bytes
      Views:
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Some Terminal buildings are actually compounded objects - is there another library object involved? SDE should find library objects both in the OBX file and also in the APX file that contains the airport record. Do I understand that you got the object via the OBX file?
  3. José

José

brazil
    Show a pict

Hi, Mace

Show us a picture of that half building you compiled, please.

Regards,

José
  4. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I have seen the compounded objects, but in this case, I could not find any other gui in the OBX file that was remotely close in lat and long to this "half" terminal building.

That is why I am so confused on this...

I got the object from the OBX file. I did not look in the APX file. Should I have done that? It might be worth checking. But then, why would Microsoft put half of the building in the OBX file, and the other half in the APX file?

I will check on that.
  5. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Ok I will do that when I get home.

That guid is the North half of the main air terminal at Tocumen Intl. Bisected quite nicely.

I don't know if you are familiar with MPTO's terminal, but it is a central building with two long narrow extensions on either end, ending in round structures, one on each end.

That guid calls up the north half only. One "lobe".

I'm going to look in the APX file for the other half of the building...that would be...an odd way of doing things...if they put the other half in the APX.
  6. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    The APX may just call out the GUID as necessary on different headings to complete the building. Gives them more generic building blocks that may be able to be used elsewhere.

JimD
  7. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Ok, attached here is a pic of what the above guid gave me...
    (oh, disregard the positioning of the object (on the runway)...I was playing around with the position)

In the default scenery, the terminal has another identical lobe to the left side of the screen. That is not displayed calling the guid that SDE decom'ed for me as you can see by the attached pic.

I have not looked in the APX file to see if the remainder is called in there...willdo

Anyway, attached...

Attached Files:

8. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I am hoping that is the case. I will see if this is what they have done.
  9. DougMatthews

DougMatthews

us-washington
    Nice idea, but no. The APX file knows nothing of the terminal building.

The uuid for the other half of the terminal is {2ca92973-7784-49ef-9f5f-af2795627516}.

Not sure why this building is broken up like this. Usually that is done to accommodate different scenery densities for different parts of the building, but that is not the case here. This footprint seems untouched from FS9.

-Doug
  10. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    A ha! So it is a different guid for the OTHER HALF of the building. Still, I find it odd that I couldn't locate it by lat/long. ??? I am going to have to look into this...

Thank you for the info Doug.
  11. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I figure there must have been a logical reason why they split it in half.

I have now had a chance to investigate this fully.

The main pax terminal at MPTO is indeed split into two parts; a north half, referenced by one guid; and a south half, referenced by a different guid. Keep this in mind for all of you designers who are investigating how things were done.

Furthermore, these two halves are NOT defined at the same spot in the OBX file. One would think that they would be defined back-to-back. But no, the reference for the south half is later in the file. (!)

I still find it inexplicable that I could not locate this object since I was looking for lat/long vals. I must have been tired ("ti-ord" as they say in the hills).

Where is that list of guid's I thought I used to have? Where?? I could swear someone uploaded a list. But I cannot find it now.

I will have to be more careful looking in the future. I now realize that the buildings may be split strangely, and the parts in different places in the OBX bgl file.
  12. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    No one said it would be easy Rhett :)
  13. DougMatthews

DougMatthews

us-washington
    You'd like to think that, but in this case I cannot seem to see one. ;)

-Doug
  14. José

José

brazil
    Hi, all

As Jon says above, many buildings in airport area are a mix of equal or differents types, disposed in L, T and others blocks formats.

In the case of a simmetryc building, composed of two parts, the first has a heading and the heading for the other are opposed 180 degrees.

You can make also L´s and T´s working with regular buildings, playing with their dimensions and headings.

Regards,

José