1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light above ground poly

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by ras78, 11/5/07.

1. ras78

ras78

italy
    Hello guys,
    in my last scenery I made all runway lights by using LIGHT_NAV command. In my new scenery I would like to use the "default" lights made with afcad. Since I got groundpoly made with GMax, is there a way to put all runway lights (border, papi, ecc..) over my ground layer?

thanks
  2. PakMac

PakMac

england
    Hi,

The only way I've found to place lights over a custom ground poly is to use FSSC.

Where you enter the texture type for your runway, select none and the runway is invisible.

David
    CanUK Scenery
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

No, you can not put it over your GMax polygon. So either you need to make holes in it for the light to come through or use the older techniques for the lights.
  4. jtanabodee

jtanabodee Resource contributor

thailand
    What is the older techniques for the lights? Would you mind telling me how to do that since I made a custom runway and all light disappeared.
  5. arno

netherlands
    The older techniques mean either use a SCASM runway that can be placed on top of the polygons, or use the BGL_LIGHT command to place the lights. The last can be done from GMax with the correct material names (LIGHT_NAV, etc).
  6. ras78

ras78

italy
    Mmmh I think that there should be a way to do this, try to check Flytamps's Scenery as well as ISD Project. They put the fs lights above goundpoly.
    Someone suggested to use Airport for Windows and seems to be a matter of layer number...
  7. arno

netherlands
    Airport for Windows will be a SCASM runway, not an XML one. So that makes sense.
  8. xbuddy

xbuddy

indonesia
    for FS9 I think FSSC is better to use light for above ground poly, like PacMac was said make it invisible.

if we use BGL light like LIGHT_NAV the result is your runway will be brighter, I think this is not what's flytampa do.

if SCASM is the choice one, I want to try it. :) but can we make SCASM for FSX?
  9. ras78

ras78

italy
    Sounds interesting, I didn't know that FSSC created a scasm runway. I'll try!
  10. arno

netherlands
    Yes, those BGL files made with SCASM still work in FSX as well. Although sometimes I have seen some performance trouble with SCASM runways in FSX.