1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 Lighting Effects In GMAX

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Titanic, 24/11/09.

1. Titanic

Titanic

Can you use the lighting effect in GMAX in FS2004?
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

What do you mean with lighting here? You can attach effect (FX) file to your object in GMax. Also it is possible to create BGL_LIGHT lights using the proper material names. But what kind of effect are you looking for?
  3. Titanic

Titanic

I wish I was more clear. How do you do that? I want to do search lights, warning lights on top of buildings and white and red strobe lights on antennas.
    Last edited: 24/11/09
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

For obstacle lights on buildings I think using the BGL_LIGHT commands are easiest. To do this you need to give your material the name LIGHT_STROBE and with the colour of the material you determine the colour of the light.

Be careful, after exporting you will have to tweak the output a bit, else the lights don't work (bug in MakeMDL). It is probably easiest to do this with my MDL Tweaker II tool.

For a search light I think using an effect is a better choice. I have seen it used for a light house for example. In that case you attach it to your object with the attachtool script. In this case be careful that it will not work if you have an exclude in your area, in that case you should place the effect through BGLComp XML code directly.