1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lights

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Ayrsimming, 27/11/08.

1. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

I believe the conversion of some forms of lights is already supported however I have failed to convert a lighthouse object with flashing lights included. Striping out the lights solves the conversion but I am wondering if there is a possibility that this feature can be converted.
    I attach an object file which contains only the lights in the hope that you might be able to do something with it.

Iain

Attached Files:

2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

Adding support for API macros with animations is on my wishlist already. Animated lights is another form of them I guess, I will write that down as well. I guess I have to learn how to do the blinking in the FX file then :).
  3. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Just to add the light feature in question is not always used with animation and is used as a 'spot' light also.
    Hoping you can progress this further.

Iain
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

Here with animation I mean that it is not continuously displayed, but there is some condition/change on its display.
  5. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Thanks, I understand what you are saying:)

Iain
  6. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Thanks for the light fix in your latest version. That means more of my api's can be fully converted directly.

However with your latest I am seeing the texturing in the preview as very dark and colours seem to show dark grey. Converted objects are fine however.

Best wishes for 2009.

Iain
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

Yes, I noticed some trouble with the colours. I am working on a fix for that at this moment. Hopefully today that will be fixed.
  8. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Got your latest version and pleased to report preview display looking good again:)

Iain
  9. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Arno,

I have problems with the preview. All textures are looking orange-yellowish. Release downloaded today. I have attached the API.
    Last edited: 1/2/09
  10. arno

netherlands
    Hi Martin,

I will test it. Might take a few days, since I messed up a little bit while adding a new feature. So at the moment I don't have a running version on my PC :).
  11. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    I feel with you :) I know the feeling.
  12. arno

netherlands
    In the end it should be an improvement, but at the moment I have created loads of compile errors that I have to deal with. That's part of programming :).

But I will address your issue soon after that.
  13. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Martin

As my preview display with the latest version is okay I thought I would take a look at your object.
    I think your problems are due to the texture format being used. I converted them to DXT1 as a test and the object looks as it should, I think. Check the attached.

Iain

Attached Files:

14. arno

netherlands
    OK, that might indicate I have to check the BMP loader. Thanks for the check.
  15. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Thank's for that test, Iain :)
  16. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Arno,

Some suggestions based on the test of the current version (10.01.09).

1. Auto generated fx_light*.fx. How about including the api name when generating it? If you do a batch conversion, you have no idea, to which file / object the effect belongs.

2. For batch conversion - it would be very convenient (in a luxury sense) if you could point to a root folder and you would generate the list of macros below that. Your code would crawl through the folders recursively. I thought of that when I noticed that I always had to copy the macros into one folder for batch conversion, because I keep them separately.

3. As for the bitmaps - I can confirm Iain's finding that it loads DXT1 bitmaps perfectly. For the unconverted bitmaps they still show strange. If you did not touch the BMP loader code sinse then then it is ok.
  17. arno

netherlands
    Hi Martin,

I decided to do it like this, because then if you have for example multiple objects with all a white light in them you can use only one effect file. Else you would end up polluting the effects folder with effects that are identical.

That is a nice idea, I'll put it on the list.

I am looking at that problem at this very moment. They indeed are in a BMP format that was not yet supported. I am adding support for it now.
  18. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

The problem with the textures should be fixed in the latest build.