1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 LOD creater

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Sidney Schwartz, 18/3/10.

1. Sidney Schwartz

Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    Hi Arno,

I'm using MCX with Sketchup. I finally got around to giving the LOD creater a try. I think the idea of autmoatically creating LOD models is a great idea, but it may not work as well as letting us create and add our own LOD models, as we can do in Gmax. Here's the results of my test on a relatively simple (to me, anyway) hanger.

Pic 1 shows the fully detailed model in textured and wireframe modes. Pic 2 shows the results of using the LOD creater and the settings I used. The only setting I changed was to set the triangle penalty value to max, hoping MCX would then remove only smaller details from the model. As you can see, some distortion of the model resulted, and the new triangle count went from 2858 to 1142.

Pic three shows an LOD model I made myself in Sketchup by making a copy of the original and removing some details. I removed the electric meter box and conduits, flattened the door frames flush with the surface, and removed the yellow concrete guard posts. This took me about the same amount of time as it took MCX to make its modifications. The difference in the number of final triangles is huge...1142 for MCX vs. 160 for me.

It's certainly possible that I'm not understanding how to use this function correctly. Or it may be possible that creating good LODs requires making decisions that a program is incapable of making. I wouldn't expect MCX to know that a particular part of a model is something that can be removed entirely because it wouldn't be visible from a distance anway.

My preference would be to be able to create my own series of models in Sketchup, and then have a way to assign them LOD numbers in MCX. So there'd be a master model, say "hanger_A_100", and I would tell MCX to use hanger_A_50 and hanger_A_10 for LODs.

Thanks for welcoming our feedback. Hope this makes sense. :)
    Last edited: 31/5/10
  2. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    I think an option to simply remove all small details would be a great one. Assigning user created LOD models would be good too.
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

The current LOD Creator indeed does not work correctly on all objects. I also have a church object where you would expect some small details to disappear and they don't :).

I think it is a nice idea to be able to import another model for a specific LOD level. I'll put that on the wishlist.

I also have some ideas on how to improve the LOD Creator, so that it might work better in certain conditions. But I haven't found the time yet to try them out.
  4. Sidney Schwartz

Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    Thanks, Arno. My personal preference would be to be able to create my own LOD models. It's fairly easy to do, and I'd rather make the decisions about what to remove.
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

True, for some objects that might be easier indeed. I'll add an option later to import another model for a specific LOD.

But I started on the LOD Creator with the idea to make it automatically, since I personally find making LODs a lot of work and a bit boring :).