1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London City EGLC/LCY Latest shots

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Shagster22, 16/11/06.

1. Shagster22

Shagster22

netherlands
    Hey everyone,
    After settling in my new uni life, I've been able to do some designing, and I thought I would post some progress on the site for all to see! I have been working closely with a good friend of mine and I have decided to join and help his scenery design group and put my LCY project under the new Scenicworx name. Don't worry, it'll still be freeware, and it'll still be above all excellent:D !
    You can visit the website at www.scenicworx.com!

Now, to get some shots, I'm only showing a fraction here, the rest you can find at my own website (see my signature link) or at the scenicworx LCY forum, which can be found HERE!

Anyways, enjoy!

[​IMG]

Comments are always welcome!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 16/11/06
  2. José Bourgoignie

José Bourgoignie

belgium
    Hi,

Fine to see good design !

Greetz. José.
  3. heclak

heclak

singapore
    oh my!!! that is fantastic. how do you do your textures. they are great. especially your night textures. stunning. how do you create them? photos? how about your night textures? AMAZING!
    what is that light on the apron from the terminal? is that an effect or texture? way cool!!
  4. Shagster22

Shagster22

netherlands
    Heya,
    Thank you for your comments first of all! As for my textures I know people who work on or around the airport, so most of my textures are photoreal! Of course compiling and mapping them is another story, but it helps to have good resources. My night textures are a mix of renders, opacities, costom light drawing, and a lot of patience :p , and the apron floodlights are a semi-transparent texture on an fs2002 plane. Its still hard (dunno if this is the perfect one) to get the opacity and brightness right, cause you can easily "bleach out" the lines nad markings under it. One really cool night texture method i discovered is the following steps (in photoshop, but should be similar for PSP):
    - take the day texture and put a layer over it, completely black, and then put that layer at 88% opacity (88% is closest to default FS night ive tested).
    - using the eraser tool and several opacities of it, you can erase the dark (from the black layer), much like a light would do. For those without a rendering program this really works well, because you can get show lights shining onto an object with a small fix in the textures.
    - the tower floodlihgt shining on the tower is done with this technique (there are some other places as well, but this one is the best).

Cheers!
  5. heclak

heclak

singapore
    thanks for the tips.
    hmm..renders?? as in renders by 3ds max? would you mind elaborating? do you actually build the whole scene with lights and render to take a photo and re-map them? i thought of that before but that seems like it would invovle alot just to get a decent shot. how would you mimic the lights from interior?

i'm quite fascinated by how you do you glass in the night textures. are they painted over from the photos? or completely overhauled. would you mind sharing?
  6. bpahe

bpahe

sweden
    Hi!

Comments... well, howcome is it that every time I see screens like this, I think "why can´t my airports look like this" (and I´ve done a few)? :)

/hans
  7. Shagster22

Shagster22

netherlands
    hey there,
    For the renders i did the following:
    - I have my 512x1024 texture, and mapped it with plane/box mapping on a 100x200 box (can also be different, as long as it has the same ratios of the texture)
    - then i place all the lights where they should be, and render. It takes some practice to get the lights right as they need to shine on the texture in just the right way.
    - I render at 1100x550 (3ds always adds a black border to renders, i dont know how to remove it), and then i simply take the render and layer is over the day texture at 88% opacity. You need to cut and fit the texture so that it lays over nicely.
    - The nightime glass is simply the daytime glass: i take the daytime glass (select all the panes) and copy as one layer, put it over the black night layer, and change the colour/darkness to make yellow or blue or whatever colour lighting. I play around a bit with darkness/contrast and colour balance and such. You can also "blur" the edge or add a glow effect, making it seem like the lights from the inside light up the outside wall a bit. Or you can use the erase-the-black-layer technique from my earlier post to add that glow.

You could theoretically make the entire scene and render, but then there would be sooo many specific textures, that it would be a nightmare compiling them and such. Even rendering a night version of the textures directly with the same mapping (i havent done this yet), would be hard, because tileable textures might confict in where they are lit. Hence i simply map and render the lighting for each individual texture.

Hey Hans,
    Anybody's airport can look like that, It just takes time I supose, sometimes i think i spend tooo much time into it :p ! If people have questions about design aspects I would be glad to help make any scenery better!
  8. heclak

heclak

singapore
    thanks for the advice. now i can get my textures right. just need good day textures to start. glass in my opinion is the hardest to get right. especially if you have to paint it yourself. photos are also hard. do you edit your glass from photos? i see clouds in most of them.
  9. Shagster22

Shagster22

netherlands
    Nope, their directly from pictures! For some of them i need to change the perspective to make them usuable as textures, and sometimes i change brightness/contrast or so, but nothing big. In my experience photos are much nicer than self painted, and i think they are easier. It getting them which is the hard part :p . Something I havent tried is rendering clouds over glassy areas in PS, that might give cool effects! What project are you working on ATM?
    Last edited: 22/11/06