1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making an island

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by CaptainKeith, 13/4/06.

1. CaptainKeith

CaptainKeith

unitedstates
    What is the best tool and/or method to create a small area of land being slightly raised where there is now water?

Thanks,
    Keith
  2. rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

I am sure that others more knowledgeable on the topic can supply a better answer. I just completed a project exactly like that. I first had to create land where there was no land. I got Scott Gridley to help me out there using Slartibartfast and my gray scale image showing water vs. land. He generated the land areas for me. I then created a bitmapped image for the entire LOD13 that my island fell within. Using R=0, G=elevation, and B=0 I created an image with the green values being the elevations I needed. In Sbuilder I used that image to generate an elevation mesh. After that, in Sbuilder I placed landclass texture, roads, and objects. The mesh took a bit of tweaking by going back and forth between Photoshop, Sbuilder, and the sim. I wanted cliffs on the east side of my island so I had to do it that way. There is a discussion with some images and more references on http://www.fs-freeflow.com/forum2/index.php?topic=962.0