1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Photoreal Ground, in a not box format

Discussion in 'Terrain Design General' started by jacklyon, 12 Aug 2017.

1. jacklyon

jacklyon

france
    Hi

it's possible, to make, little photoreal, cells, with FSET (or another program), with a non box, format?
    with TMFViewer, i see that ORBX, make cells, without the box format, this is practical, because, the transparent "blendmask" not allow AGN show it, i would like to make very tinny, photoreal cells

(for example, for a little part in a city, or to follow a river), but, if i use, "traditiontal", FSEarthTiles,
    box, i can do, with mouse, are often, very bigs.

I must use "ground polygon" method, for this kind of thing (but ground polygon, not support watermask, and autogen), and will be in part, very far aways from airports.

Thanks

2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

If you use a blend mask you can use any shape you want. I'm not familiar enough with FSET to know if it can make a blend mask for you.

3. jacklyon

jacklyon

france
    Hi, Arno, thanks to answer

I know how to make blendmask layer, with GIMP, and resample, not problem with that, but

with a layer in blendmask, i can make transparent a part of the photoreal box, but, all the part, made it transparent with the blendmask, it's not a true "not photoreal" ground, because, the AGN not want to show on it.

I would like to know, it another method exist, to do that,

And also, the size, is really bigger, than high resolution ground polygons right?

i am asking, how i can do that.

Thanks in advance

4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Not sure I understand your remark about the autogen. It is normal that autogen does not show on parts where you used a blend mask to hide the photo scenery. In those parts you'll get the default scenery instead (with its autogen). So that's how it is supposed to be.

I would prefer using resample to ground polygons, since the latter only work well on flat areas. For airports that's OK, but for a city or so it's much easier to use resample photo scenery BGL files. And the performance is also better in general.

5. jacklyon

jacklyon

france
    In fact, i realize, that when i use a photoreal ground cell, and i make transparent some part, to make the default scenery shows up, it's show, but without its autogen. I will recheck, maybe i forgot an exclude, but i saw that.

Thanks, for the recommendation, i will try to make a little photoreal ground and put a big transparent layer blendmask, to see if the default agn show ups with its default ground (i hope, because it's that i want to do)

Thanks for answer

6. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hello:

With custom photo-real aerial imagery land class BGLs compiled via FSX / P3D SDK Resample, if the 8-Bit Gray-scale value used in a Blend Mask image tile makes parts of the image more 'transparent', the underlying photo-real and/or land class (with any applicable local autogen annotations that exist in higher-priority layers) ...are allowed to show through to the top of the terrain scenery display in FS at run time.

This is sometimes referred to as "Transparent Photo-real" using the less well-known land class type #254 which requires a Blend Mask and optional Land/Water Mask.

FYI: I am working on a rough draft of an attempt to re-construct a few posts on this subject by rhumbaflappy which have lost the images (due to links being disabled by 'imageshack' when they changed account access terms :banghead:); I hope to make an "interpretive re-construction" of posts on this topic available here at FS Developer in the future. :pushpin:

In the mean time, some links to a few pertinent topics that, IMHO, merit consideration: :idea:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-on-transparent-photoscenery.424378/#post-626912

NOTE: Rhumbaflappy's worked example "Transparent Photoreal.zip" (aka TransAuto.zip or "TransparentAutogen" ) is at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=F3950C5BBD2BCFA1!395&cid=F3950C5BBD2BCFA1

...via a download folder icon "Transparent Photoreal" at ( Shared > FS Addons > FSX files > Transparent Photoreal )

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/transparent-textures.22252/#post-147627

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/photo-real-bleah.21253/#post-140774

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707119.aspx

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
  7. jacklyon

jacklyon

france
    Thanks Gary, thanks Arno

Arno, Sorry,

I actually, make a test, with a blendmask with "true black", in the tif, and, i confirm, that Arno, said
    The AGN from default ground, show it without problems!!!

Gary,
    Thanks a lot, i will read carefully, all your links