1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

material editor & dae files

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Pyscen, 4/2/10.

1. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Arno,...

Here is a thought,... Would it be possible to have MCX recognize when "_lm" are present when importing (especially dae files). If it does see them, place them in the night time texture spot within the material editor automatically?

Off the top of my head.
  2. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    I don't know how that would be possible at import (how would it know which one?), but in the Mass Texture Editor it could load them when you press the Update or Match buttons, as long as they have the same base name as the renamed daytime texture. That would be nice. :)

Thanks,
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

That is a good idea. I am in the process of thinking how I can improve the material editor. At the moment I am planning to merge the functionality of the material editor and mass texture editor into one editor.

Adding a function to find night textures is a good idea, besides the match function that is now on the mass texture editor. The drawcall minimizer should also get a place in this new editor then. I am just in the process of thinking how to make it as easy to use as possible.
  4. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    I haven't fully thought about the how as well as the possible chance of locating... but if you were to import say a dae file... then you would have the means to look for the _lm files etc... just a different loop so to speak in programming. I haven't done much programming in so long now,.. so the process is a little ecthy,... not sure if subroutine would be the right wording either in this case.

I thought having a material editor and a mass texture editor separate was interesting,... thought they were the same but... then again I just started understanding the textures/materials thing within FSX/FS9. I know in a way they are different at least the approach is.
  5. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    I want to add after wrting this original comment/message,...

Arno,... Through the Mass Texture Editor the "_lm" files are being read also if the files are placed into the material editor... it just a matter of the material editor to locate them in the beginning.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Yes, I will add a function to search for night textures that match the day texture assigned.

I don't think this should be automatic though, since you might not always want night textures (and I don't like tools that do things without being instructed). So I will make a button for it.
  7. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    That makes sense... button would be very nice! I agree with not having something do automatically unless wanted too... I meant more so on "automatically" if requested, like a button or a tag so to speak.
  8. flyinmike

flyinmike

germany
    Hi Arno,
    has this been implemented yet?
    I haven't found it in the recent release (1.3.r651) - even after looking into the manual.;)
    I think an extra checkbox column "create nightmap" in the editor window would be nice. The automatically created (and linked) nightmap could then have e.g. 50% intensity of the original, just acting as a dummy to be edited separately.

BTW:
    If I click on the "Browse"-Button to choose the texture directory in the Mass Texture Editor sometimes the program hanged. I switched back to V1.2, it worked there. Back to r651 again: and it works too?!

Michael
  9. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

No, the changes to the material editor are still on the drawing board, that includes these night texture changes.

It is a nice idea to create a dummy night texture if none exists.

Did you get any error when it hangs? Since it only opens the dialog to select the folder I am not sure what could go wrong there.
  10. flyinmike

flyinmike

germany
    I understand. - No error message, I had to kill it with the task-manager (Status "no reply", being a bit impatient and waited only for 10-15s). My proceeding steps (tried 3 or 4 times): Imported object, had a look at the Material Editor at a certain texture, and after that opened the Mass Texture Editor, and then... (the path shown in the edit field exists)
    Perhaps not top priority, as not (yet) really reproducible.
  11. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    On the subject of Texture Editor, I did some conversions using the texture converter tool to convert DDS into BMP for use in Sketchup. It would be handy to have a "multi-select" and convert capability.

scott s.