1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Materials without bitmap in 3ds Max

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by mendiola_loyola, 6/1/08.

1. mendiola_loyola

mendiola_loyola Resource contributor

peru
    Dear All:

Can i apply a material without texture to a 3ds max model?

I just want to create a material with rgb color an apply it to my model.

I'm using FSX SDK.

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    Lima PerĂº
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Alfredo,

Yes, just create a FlightSimX material as you would always do and then don't add a diffuse map. Only set the diffuse color of the material.

But if you have read the blog posts by Adrian Wood, you would have read that usually it is better to use textures for everything. So if you need a fixed colour it is better use a small (for example 4x4) area of your texture to define that colour.
  3. mendiola_loyola

mendiola_loyola Resource contributor

peru
    Error Message exporting 3ds model to .x

Dear Arno:

When i'm exporting the 3ds max model to x model i get the following message "Error, there are faces with bitmaps and another faces without bitmaps", after that message i get the x model, but i'm not sure whether the generated x files are correct or corrupted.

Can you help me?

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    Lima PerĂº
  4. Ruud

Ruud

netherlands
    The only way to see if the X is corrupted, you need to build a .BGL from it drop it in your fsx and have a look.

Anyway you shall use a small texture as Arno was telling you.
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

That error is not really an error as far as I know, it is more a kind of warning.

To prevent confusing, I am not suggesting to use a small texture, you should use a piece of another big texture sheet for this. If you would make a small 4x4 texture for this it would be just as bad for the performance as using no texture. You only get a benefit if you keep down the amount of textures (drawcalls).
  6. Ruud

Ruud

netherlands
    Arno, you are correct its just a warning I never was using objects whit out textures but for a animation test I was giving it a go.