1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSXA MCX Clamp or Wrap

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Pyscen, 25/4/10.

1. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Anyone?

What would be the best way to cause tiles to stretch into one or less than one?

And Arno,...

Does it show within the preview?

Just checking to make sure I'm not thinking it could or not.
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do. What do you mean with causing tiles to stretch? Are you trying to edit the texture mapping?
  3. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    The "wrap" or "Clamp" refers to how the material will handle UV coordinates <0.00 or >1.00.

It is used in combination with "overmapping" or "tiling" to either

clamp: stretch the edge pixel colour
    wrap: "wrap" around to the other side of the texture.

If you are planning on overmapping using your modelling software, then "wrap" is what you want, but this is what FSX materials do by default.
  4. arno

netherlands
    ModelConverterX will just use the texture mapping it find on your model. So if you have tiled the texture that will show in the preview as well.
  5. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    hcornea, thanks!

ok,... Arno thanks, that all I needed to know.... the night texture looks funny is all, and I thought reading thoses 2 pop ups, wrap or clamp would help but aren't stretching the length of the face at all in the preview, its tiling the textures.

So I guess I have to figure out another way.
  6. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    The material setting may work in FSX, but it won;t display in the ModelconverterX preview.
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

That's right, if you set the material setting to clamp it won't display correctly in ModelConverterX, that is something I still have to implement. I'll put it on the list :).
  8. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Ahhh,... ok... That's kinda of important if you have to create "_lm" especially if you have to find the right combinations etc.

I think I found another bug but I will create another thread for it....
  9. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I am not sure if I fully understand already. For creating a normal night texture there should be nothing wrong at the moment. Only when you want to change the material settings to clamp the texture the result as shown is not correct in the preview. But that would affect both day and night textures.
  10. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Well maybe I don't fully understand then.... for instance,... if the tile texture doesn't fit across the whole face, and if you create a night texture from the tile (much like some of FSX textures are),... then the night texture tiles go across the faces multiple times which could give a strange run of tiles, unless of course, the night textures are uniformed to fit all cases going across the face...

I will have to create a picture of what I mean to help explain what I mean.
  11. arno

netherlands
    Hi Doug,

Normally the day and night texture tile the same. So if you make sure you use the same base texture for them, there should not be visual problems.
  12. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Well,... I don't have the model as it was before... the diffuse and night textures were the same though the way I created the night texture I didn't think it would be tiled, which gave it a lighted spooked building with multiple eyes or lights across the face.

I wish I took a screen shot now, bummer.