1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu: Flight Plans -> convert for FSX?

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by scott967, 14/3/09.

1. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    I don't understand when you are supposed to use this. Right now I take an FS9 traffic.bgl, load it into AIFP, fix any errors, save a txt set then compile with FSX as the target. Is it necessary to use this first?

scott s.
  2. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    If there are errors to be fixed, there would seem to be little alternative but for you to do what you are doing. On the other hand, if there are no errors, you simply "tell" AIFP to convert the FS9 traffic file directly into FSX traffic file format and bypass the text manipulation stage.

Don
  3. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    I find it much easier to input TTools files and compile from those.
  4. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Different strokes for different folks.

AI Flight Planner allows you do do it any way you wish - including bulk conversion which identifies and converts all the FS9 traffic files in one or more folders, or converts one more individually designated files, all in a "single pass".

Don
  5. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Exactly Don. AI Flight Planner is now my only compiler.
  6. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Glad to hear it! (The last time you posted, I recall you were still using another utility for certain functions.)

Have a great weekend, George.

Don
  7. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    I think I missed something in translation. I have a set of flightplans originally in fs9 format. They are loaded into AIFP. There are no errors in airports, aircraft, for flightplans. When I want to compile them for FSX what do I need to do?

A. Use file -> compile, and check FSX as the target
    or
    B. First use flight plans -> convert for FSX, and then use file -> compile, again with FSX as the target

I guess another way of saying it, is what is the purpose of flight plans -> convert for FSX?

scott s.
  8. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    The Flight Plans / Convert for FSX item is a bit of a misnomer. I intended to change it, but it "fell through the cracks". Since I standardized some time ago on the FS9 day encoding scheme, "conversion" of a flight plan is limited to replacing airports that changed between FS9 and FSX.

So, if you are staring with a FS9 text file, load the file, convert the flight plans to FSX using Flight Plans / Convert for FSX and compile (for FSX). On the other hand, if you are starting with a FS9 traffic file, convert directly to FSX using the Files /Convert FS9 Traffic Files to FSX.

Don
  9. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    Got thanks. I have one other Q but will start a new thread.

scott s.
  10. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Scott, I misinformed you regarding the need to convert text-based flight plans prior to compile. FS9 to FSX airport substitution is a normal part of compiling flight plans. However, a message is issued advising the user when this has occurred. This allows you to keep only one copy of a flight plan (in FS9 format) that is valid for both FS9 and FSX.

If you convert the flight plan for FSX, the aiport substitution is refelcted in the text file. While this avoids "airport-substitution" messages during compile, it makes the text-based flight plan FSX-only should it contain any updated airports. (Airport-substitution works in one direction only.)

Don