1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mesh issues, please jog my memory

Discussion in 'Ground2k4, SBuilder, SBuilderX' started by JeffS, 5/11/05.

1. JeffS

JeffS

australia
    My current project is to reshape an island off the Victorian , Australia coast.

I have the required BMP file created from a BSQ to use in SBuilder and have cleaned up the differing heights due to wave action from the SRTM pass without issue.

The New coastline is working Fine.

The Mesh loads OK but where the Default water was, there is no Mesh showing and the coastline is truncated. If i create an LWM for the Land, it shows OK but is at zero altitude.

Im sure the solution is simple but i cant recall what the answer is.

Any help would be greatly appericiated.

rgds jeff
  2. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Hi Jeff.

Actually, there is no good solution.

When an LWM is covered by a new land or water mask, the old flatten associated with the original water mask remains.

The solution is to either replace the original LWM file in it's entirety, or to attempt a "remesh" with LWM polys ( or area16n flattens ) to alter the height.

Neither solution is very good... unless you have the data, tools, and the skill to replace the original BGL with the correct watermasking.

This is my pet peeve about FS8 and FS9.

Dick
  3. JeffS

JeffS

australia
    Thanks Dick , i was rather expecting that answer unfortunately.

It had occurred to me to create a several LWM polygons layered to give the impression of the mesh wich would be a tedious method but it seems to be the only solution.

Still, its worth a try as with this one its only a small area and shouldnt effect the FPS to much with luck.

This would also explain why a small island outcrop at the bottom of Tasmania will not show correctly wich is dssapointing as it actually has a very important and historical lighthouse on it.

In FS9 , all one can find is a small protrudance of water. Hopefully this may be addressed in FS10, who knows.

So, the method ill try will be a bit like contour lines of a map and maybe LWM3 polys will allow something half decent.

rgds Jeff
  4. archtx

archtx

unitedstates
    I had a very similar problem with an island recently. Here is what I did:
    1. In SBuilder, append the default LWM bgl and remove the offending polys. Leave the rest of the bgl in tact.
    2. Name the new bgl something like island_repair.bgl (so it will be easy to find later on), and place it in the default scenery directory.
    3. Put the original default bgl in a temporary folder in that same directory in case you ever want to reinstall it.
  5. JeffS

JeffS

australia
    yup, thats what i ended up having to do but i also found out by error and memory to save the water fill files as a seperate BGL as saving the Fills as polygons when editting the HP file resulted in way to many polygons that crashed SBuilder.

rgds Jeff