1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Nav Aids and Waypoints question

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Vector, 24/2/07.

1. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    I de-compiled all APX and NVX files using the latest BGLAnalyzeX program and have about 400 missing Nav Aids and 14,300 missing Waypoints. As far as I can tell I have processed the xml files correctly.

What other bgl files would include Nav Aids and Waypoints?
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    OK first question - how do you know they are missing? What are you comparing them to?

Navaids and Waypoints in an APX file will be assigned to the airport records. So any Ils, terminal Ndbs, terminal waypoints will be in the airport records.

Otherwise navaids are in NVX and waypoints are in ATX. If you have not decoded ATX files then you will be missing most of the waypoints.
  3. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    I was comparing to Dafif from a few months ago. Not accurate but at least close.

It's the ATX files I needed.

Am I correct in assuming that there are no defined sids or stars in FS9 or FSX?

Thanks!
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I am not aware of any SID/STAR information in the data
  5. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Yep. No sid/stars come with FS. (Maybe we'll hit it lucky and they'll include them with FS11)

Cheers,
    Sean
  6. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Thanks much for help.
  7. jvile

jvile

There are no DP's (SID) in the default airport database but you can add those with the default Flightplaner for FS9/FSX.

On the other hand there are many many STAR's written in the approach code of both FS9 and FSX.

STAR is a term used all over the world but its meaning vary's based on what Country you are in.

If you look at an Approach chart for EHAM you see many different STAR's such as RIVER, SUGOL, ARTIP, the special Night RNAV STAR's, and the NIRSI arrival STAR. Every single one of these STAR's are also in the database of FS9/FSX when viewed with the GPS receiver. You can also ask ATC for the arrival STAR into EHAM and many other airports.

Here in the USA STAR's can start 350-400 Nmiles from the airport and end at about 30-40Nmiles inbound. We then use what is called an IF Transition off the STAR to the IAF of the runway.

Many Country Borders are limited in size so MS uses a set of intructions for the STAR in those Countries but also codes it in the Approach data where the Transitions nest.

In smaller Country's the User Plane has the option to ask ATC for the arrival STAR and program the default GPS receiver (lock) to the NAV autopilot and the Plane will fly the STAR for you all the way to touch down.

Here in the USA we the pilot ask for the Transition off the STAR but the STAR is also programmable as per the default Flightplaner in FS9/FSX.