1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model Converter X

Discussion in 'SketchUp' started by richard64, 12/8/10.

1. richard64

richard64

wales
    When you use the Mass Texture Editor of MCX, do you have to rename each texture differently or can they all be the same?

For example, if I make, say, a hanger which has,say,4 textures do I have to give each one a different name or can they all be the same.

Hanger 25 has 5 textures, Roof,Floor,Door and Walls - inside and outside.

I am naming the textures thus.

Hanger25_Exterior_Wall.bmp
    Hanger25_Interior_Wall.bmp
    Hanger25_Door.bmp etc etc

or can I just call them all Hanger25.

and also

Is there a limit to the number of objects you can add to a library via Library Creator?

I ask this because some library entries in Library Creator are appearing in RED

Regards

Richard
    Last edited: 12/8/10
  2. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Hello Richard,...

Each Different texture will need a different title or filename... if I understand your question correctly. So If "Hangar25" has five different textures, then each of those different textures need a different name (again, if the textures are different from each other) .
  3. richard64

richard64

wales
    Doug, you understood my question perfectly and your answer is as I had expected.

I was hoping there my have been a short cut.

Again many thanks.

PS What about the 2nd question re the Library Creator.?
  4. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Some of the libraries in ADE are very big. Ogarization wise, I think it's better to have a few smaller libraries (so you can find stuff) rather than one big one.

Bob
  5. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Hello Richard...

There is probably a limitation... but not a concern presay... your Library as Bob points out, should be organisized as such that it should not be a problem... if that makes sense.

As to the Red titles of your models... Arno will have to answer that. Right now I haven't needed a library in my Projects,... since my models are airport specific. So... about the creation of a Library... I guess you need to ask yourself... can I use these models else where? Are the models specific for this Airport,... or are these models generic in natural enough to be used anywhere. But the end results are really up to you.
  6. richard64

richard64

wales
    Hi both and thanks for the replies.

Let me explain, I wanted to model some private strips in the Uk originally intending only to do a few for an event.

However I have decided to do them all, some 241 of them as shown on Bones's aviation website.

Trees constitute the biggest item and no problem there as I can get away with the FSX default ones.

However the majority buildings are farm buildings, barns etc. The default FSX ones are really inappropriate so having stumbled across GSU I have decided to make a model of each of the major buildings at a location.

These, I hasten to add, are not detailed down to the last nut and bolt but are intended to be a "representation" of the building as shown in Google Earth.

So if you take an average of 4 buildings per location, you can understand my questions.

Some locations are literally trees only with perhaps a vehicle or two, others need as many as 8 different buildings.

The only common aspect is perhaps the textures, whilst the sizes vary considerably. I have found that increasing or reducing the scale of a building via Instant Scenery V2 does not really give a true scale so each building at each site has to be done individually. This I do not mind doing as it only takes a few minutes to knock up a building that will suffice for the job.

After adding the "vegetation" the locations do not look that bad.

The building quality is improving as I go along.!!!

Still a lot of buildings to do.
  7. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Richard,

Each texture needs to have an unique name. But you can of course use the same texture file on different buildings (if the content of the texture is appropriate for both objects). Since SketchUp always exports as texture##.jpg that will give some trouble to rename to the same texture name again.

About Library Creator XML, if they display in red it means that the MDL file has not been found. There seems to be a little bug in this, sometimes if you reload the XML file they will be found. Else they might not be on the same location on your HD anymore.
  8. richard64

richard64

wales
    Hi Arno and thanks.

Despite some models showing in red in the Library Creator they are all showing fine in FSX.

Using Instant Scenery and with the "Show Labels" option checked the ones in red have a label appropriate to the model but there is also a line saying the models is undefined, for example

Hanger5

MODEL UNDEFINED 724b7e55-486e-e6bd-157f-88b93ca12387

whatever that may mean.

However as I say they all seem to be showing ok in fsx.

Regards

Richard.
  9. richard64

richard64

wales
    Well all the entries in Library Creator are now in the black and all seems well.

Some models in FSX via Instant Scenery still have an "undefined Model" label but they are all showing.

More than likely down to me.
  10. ceype

ceype

belgium
    ik heb nu al verscheidene toetsenbord-instellingen gebruikt
    engels verenigde staten , engels verenigd koninkrijk , belgisch punt

en telkens keer krijg ik weer diezelfde melding ,van dat mijn settings niet in dot staat .

ik weet het zo-even niet meer !

voor de rest lukt het wel voor mijn kmz (niet collada) de texures van naam te veranderen .
  11. robystar

robystar

start>>>instellingen>>> configuratiescherm>>>landinstellingen>>> Engels (Verenigde Staten)>>>deze indeling aanpassen>>>decimaalteken "." >>> cijfergroeperingssymbool "," .
    Last edited: 26/10/10