1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSXA Model texture problems

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by mmann, 17/6/10.

1. mmann

mmann

ca-britishcolumbia
    I was wondering why all the models (static objects) I convert with ModelConverterX have flashing textures? The original fs2002 and fs2004 bgls display the models just fine, yet when I convert them the textures flash or flicker! The computer is running Windows XP SP2 if that matters.

Mike Mann
  2. bob5568

bob5568

are the materials used fsx materials? I suspect not if they are displaying correclty in a fs8 or fs9 bgl.

I believe materials will only display correctly from mcx if they are defined as fsx materials at the design stage.

Perhaps others will confirm.
  3. mmann

mmann

ca-britishcolumbia
    So ModelConverterX will only work properly with fsx scenery bgls? Pity.
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

What ModelConverterX does is turn your old code into FSX MDL files. So it will make those FlightSimX material for you. It is not something the user has to do.

If they are flickering I can think of two issues:

1. ZBias, if the origional object had a ZBias on the texture that should be converted properly, but from a distance that could flicker a bit sometimes.
    2. Are you sure you did not place two versions of the object at the same place? Old and new BGL for example. That will also give flickering.

If this does not help, can you show me the object you are trying to convert, so that I can take a look.
  5. mmann

mmann

ca-britishcolumbia
    Looks like bob5568 was right. I used ModelConverterX v1.2 on a bgl containing a model I created using gmax and the FSX Acceleration SDK. Created a bgl with Library Creator and no problems with the textures. But all of the 10 to 12 FS2002 and FS2004 models I tried had flickering. I guess I will have to recreate all my models with gmax and the FSX Acceleration SDK.
  6. arno

netherlands
    No, that is not needed. I developed ModelConverterX to prevent you having to do it from scratch again. The tool is made to convert older objects to the FSX format.

I have done it with hundreds of objects already and I have not seen flickering textures yet. Did you check the two possible issues I mentioned?
  7. mmann

mmann

ca-britishcolumbia
    Perhaps ModelConverterX does not work properly with FSX Acceleration. At any rate I can't get it to work properly for me so I'll just do it the old fashion way (gmax and the FSX Acceleration SDK). Thank you for taking the time to answer my query.

Mike Mann
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi Mike,

It should also work fine with Acceleration pack. There is no limitation on the version or so.

Instead of just saying it does not work, I would prefer to actually figure out why it does not work. That's why I asked about the zbias and the double positioning.

It might be you have found a bug in the tool. If that is the case I prefer to find and fix it. But for that I would need your model and textures to reproduce the problem.