1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ModelConverterX for x file and FS2002 GP Creation

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by hcornea, 19/6/09.

1. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Arno,

Firstly - thankyou so much for developing this very useful tool.

Last year I lost some source files in a Harddisk crash, which need changing and tweaking .. this is now possibe with the bgl libraries available. Thankyou so much!

Now, to the question posed re Groundpolys
    I have done some preliminary testing, which seems ok ... but would value your thoughts ....
    Is there any reason why the x-file produced by ModelconverterX from an FSX model could not be used through MakeMDL2002 for Groundpoly creation.
    If this is possible, it would be a far easier way to extract x-files, for those of us that don't have the full FS2002 gamepack anymore.

Also (feature request) ... is it possible to have ModelConverter add a "NoCrash" tag to model geometry, as a simple switch?
    Last edited: 19/6/09
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I never tested it, but I think it should work. To be really useful I guess I should add a filter on ground polygons :).

I have been thinking that using the technology I made for ModelConverterX I can also make a little tool that can help in making the ground polygon tweaks. But that would require a different output writer, since the tweak can only be made in the ASM files.

So don't hold your breath for this idea, but it is in the back of my mind :).

That's a good suggestion as well, I'll put it on the wishlist. Should be easy to add an option in the settings that controls the NoCrash parameter while compiling.
  3. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    I'm intrigued as to the "filter" you are referring to.

My preliminary tests show that the X-file survives parsing through MakeMDL2002 with ASM code and texture names intact (as I guess you might expect)

I think the uses for a tool like this will grow as time goes on.

A tool that simplified groundpoly creation for 2002 style polygons would be a great asset. Especially now it would seem FSX is likely to have an extended life .... before a suitable successor comes along.

Thank-you once again.
    Last edited: 20/6/09