• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX

Country
ca-ontario
I just tried ModelConverterX, and I have a question.

It creates the model, but there is no XML file. How is it possible to specify the GUID and location etc?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you use Library Creator XML to create the library BGL, it will do that job.

Hope this helps,

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
In the latest build, you can go to the options menu, and set SampleXML to True, and it will output an FSX XML file.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You should see ModelConverterX a bit like GMax, it produces your model, but in the end you will have to use a placement tool to position it.

As Dick mentioned there is an option now to produce a XML sample when you are exporting for FSX, if you are exporting for FS2004 the sample XML file is made by default.

As Tom mentioned the common approach is to put the MDL in a library BGL file, after which you can use all of the common placement tools to position your object. On my wishlist for ModelConverterX I have a function that will allow you to enter the placement from within the tool as well, but that might take some time to implement.

Country
ca-ontario
I am trying to export in FS-2004 format, but when I do, I get the mdl, a log, and two asm files. There is no XML. Can I just use another one and generate a GUID using the guid generator? I always assumed that the guid was special to each model.

Another question, the program says it can import Google Earth KMZ objects. I'm finding the objects are all .skp.

Am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
In the Options menu, check where the MakeMDL path leads. Then go there in Windows explorer. Do you have a Makemdl.cfg file?

It's a text file and should look something like this:

Code:
[Settings]
LastDir=
SaveDir=

[Options]
Debug=1
ViewLog=0
ViewBGL=0
View=0
KeepErrorLog=0
Keep=1
Il=0
I8=0
In=0
I=0
TexPage=0
SoftMat=0
FullMat=0
Deffallback=0
Specularcanopy=0
WeldPoints=1
DLL=0
Info=0
Optimize=0
Flatten=0
NoAnimate=0
HasReflectMap=0
HasNightMap=0
HasLightMap=0
HasDamageMap=0
NegateZ=1
NoLeftToRight=0
SwapBH=0
Vis=0
Vistest=0
Crash=0
XML=1

XML=1 will save the XML sample.

Keep=1 will save the ASM files.

You can create this cfg file if you don't already have one.

Dick

Country
ca-ontario
Thank you, it works.

But I don't think it's possible to actually use these objects in flight sim is it? The textures are all odd sizes, and they all have the same names, is it possible to rename them so you could have multiple objects in one folder?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
We don't have a clue what your MDL or textures are. I would first try the object. If that doesn't work, zip the MDL and textures and attach them to a post.

Dick

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I'm really stumped, I don't have a button for Mass Texture Editor. It goes right from Material Editor to Attached Object Editor.

I believe you have release version 1.1,... try the development release it has the mass texture editor.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Right, get the latest development release from the thread at the top of this forum (also linked in my tutorial).

Hope this helps,

Country
ca-ontario
Thanks for all your help.

I've gotten some cool stuff imported into flightsim, now I just need to finish off finding out how much I can get permission to distribute :)