1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modifying a standard airport

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by Sander, 20/7/07.

1. Sander

Sander

Hello,

I am totally new with scenery design, but I am trying to modify an existing field. I know that I can use afcad to modify a taxiway or runway, but i want to do some more things, like custom textures to runways and I want to add some buildings.

Now I am trying to work with FS Architect, but when i use the program, I am starting with a blank (green) page. But I just want to load an existing airport into that page, like I can do so in AFCAD. Is there a way to do this in FS Architect? Or do you know another program to work this way? :eek: I would also appreciate if you know some tips or tricks for me.

Edit: I am using flightsimulator 9, instead of FSX.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: 20/7/07
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    You might want to look at SBuilder. There are a series of tutorials on my site (www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk) that cover the kind of things you are talking about using AFCAD and SBuilder. You need Sbuilder 2.05 and not SBuilderX
  3. Sander

Sander

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I just looked at the tutorials, but i don't understand one thing.

In FS Architect, i see the nice options, such as 'add a taxiway sign', or 'Place an advanced building'. That are the things I want to do.

In SBuilder, i get a error, when I try to start a new file. But I will try to fix that with the tutorial on your website about installing Sbuilder.

Anyway, I cannot see the airport layout in one of the problems. (Such as the taxiways, or buildings.) Is there a way to do this like I can in AFCAD?

I mean, how can I add taxiway signs to a airport without knowing where the sign is going to be placed?

Hope you can help me, and tonight i will try to fix the error with the tutorial from your site.

:)
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Taxi signs are difficult things to work with in FS9. I think there is a tool to design these - maybe do a search on AVSIM? I am not familiar with FS Architect so I can't comment on what it can do.

If you want to add or change Facilities data in FS9 then AFCAD2.2 is probably the best tool. You mention custom textures. The textures for runways, aprons and so on are set in FS and while you can change them they are then changed for all airports. To make them with your own textures you are moving towards Gmax in one direction or creating custom textured polygons to place over existing runways using something like SBuilder.

I'm not sure what you mean by advanced buldings. There are two types of building you can work with in FS9. One type is generic buildings and the other are custom scenery objects. FS uses both. For specific customization scenery objects are the way to go. You can use SBuilder for this and there are a number of alternative tools such as RWY12. There is not really any one tool that does everything although another alternaive that many people have success with is SceneGenX. In the end it will come down to what you find suits your way of working
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Sander,

Most design tools do not allow you to load existing airports in them. For example the tools that can be used to draw custom textured taxiways do not use the XML techniques that the default scenery uses. So you would have to design a new taxiway, as simply editing them is not possible.

I am not an expert on FS Architect, but I don't think it can load in existing scenery. I think the technique usually used is to load a background image and then create your airport based on that.

If you simply want to edit/enhance a default airport a bit, I would stick to AFCAD and maybe an object placement tool to add some new objects.
  6. summit Design

summit Design

unitedkingdom
    in fs archtect you should be able to load an existing Aiport like shown on there site .. check it out .. i say this because it lets you midify the terrian .. and for this you must be able to see the ground below