1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple texture photoreal ground poly?

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Bailey Green, 6 Oct 2016.

1. Bailey Green

Bailey Green

southafrica
    Hi Everyone,

I wonder if someone could help guide me in the right direction for this. I am looking to make a photorealistic ground poly for my airport background but I would like my satellite textures to be split up in 1024x1024 textures so they are smaller and easier to work with and can hopefully be more detailed.

Is there any tool or way in which this can be done?

Regards
    Bailey

2. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    I just have to make the image a multiple of 1024, make a grid on gimp and cut out the tiles.

Others have made scripts to batch process them after this, but I haven't seen anyone use one to cut them out.

3. Aviasim

Aviasim

unitedkingdom
    If you have photoshop...

You can open your main image you want slicing up, draw a 1024x1024 cube and lay them out in a checkered flag, put them all in a group and use the horizontal and vertical guides.. select your cut tool and at the top press "Slice from guides", when that is done, you can go to file > save for web and devices, save all tiles as PNG 24 bit.

You can then use a tool like "Bulk Rename Utility" to rename the textures to something you want
    You can also use "Convimx" to batch convert all textures to DDS or whatever you want to use

Hope this helps

4. Bailey Green

Bailey Green

southafrica
    Thank you, will give that a go and let you know if I need help

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

5. Bailey Green

Bailey Green

southafrica
    Hi, I used the guides to divide up my image into 1024x1024 blocks but then the blocks on the far right are cut off and are only 768px wide which causes a problem when trying to make those tiles onto my polygon in blender.

Is there a way in which to deal with this issue?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

6. Bailey Green

Bailey Green

southafrica
    To explain the problem a bit better, I am trying to figure out how I would split up my ground polygon in Blender so I could perfectly map each of those textures to each block, especially considering that the far right side is only 768px wide although I have made it an 1024x1024 picture with the remaining space being white which will be alpha-ed out anyway.

I do have the flat earth x and y values as well.

7. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    Resize the whole image to multiples of 1024, like 5022x4096, whatever is closer to the original

8. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    Then you just divide the x dimension by 5 and y by 4, which gives you each tile size in meters.

Don't forget to use the flat earth value in mcx coordinate converter even for fsx, as the ground poly wizard will make it correct after.

9. bob5568

bob5568

I'd just make the image bigger by the amount needed to have the last row equal 1024, and then make a mask that hides the extra pixels.

10. Bailey Green

Bailey Green

southafrica
    Thanks Shaun and bob5568, I will try both of those and see which one I prefer.