1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my DC-8 Project

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Mr.FaosFX, 1/9/11.

?

Would you like me too...

1. Release the DC8 series in sequence with no VC, only wing views; then the VC comes as an update.

60.0%
  2. Keep working until the VCs are complete, this may take a very long time!!

40.0%
  1. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    I will consider this to be my thread of updates. I was working on a DC-8 nose made out of splines but last night I made a fascinating discovery. I found high resolution 3 views for the very aircraft I am making, whoohoo!! I'm working in GIMP now rotating and adjusting them to get the views in to gmax.

I was working using photographs but this proved to be difficult, now I have the actual 3 views, now it should be easier and I should make progress quickly.

Check here for updates.
    Last edited: 5/11/11
  2. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    Not much to show but this is how things turned out after spline madness all night long.

[​IMG]

The tail and elevons are not final, I'm just throwing them in there to start to
    give it some character and help to shape it up, I made delete and remodel them from scratch at any given point.

The fuselage needs a few tweaks, mainly at the rear.

The nose will undergo major work when I get some sleep today. I will bring in my spline work and integrate it into this design, shaping the windows and the nose as I go.

Here is a preview of the nose work.

[​IMG]

Again, none of this is final, and this work will simply serve as a guide to shape the nose on the gmax file with the 3 views. I could spend a long time
    on the nose before I say, yup ... I've got it.

Going to sleep now, tired!!
  3. liberty1

liberty1

dominicanrepublic
    This is just amazing work. Il be glad to test this baby out on my sim when its ready. Whats your outlook as in complexity for this aircraft Cause if you need help making repaints All though I know your are more then good at this. I can help you with some of the repaints and even the texture kit. Let me know Il show you my past texturing work.
  4. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    Thanks for that awesome offer, we can work together on that if you like when the time comes. I actually know how to paint, search my name on flightsim.com "Rafael Perez-Santana" you will see I have put out about 4 repaints, have a look if you like :) show me some that texture work you've done, I love to see that. The texture work is really what makes an aircraft worth looking at, its why people download so many repaints for this and that ... nobody would fly an untextured 777 but if you throw some textures on it and make a few liveries, it turns into eye candy.

Here is a 747 I repainted in ATI livery >>> http://flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=v....zip&an=Boeing 747-8F ATI/picture1.png&idx=65

I welcome any help.

As for the complexity, hmmm...I plan to add a stairway truck that leads up to the front left door shift+e for the door and then shift+e+2 for the stair way truck, opening engine doors also
    I guess but no more than this. Now as for the liveries, the first repaint I will make is definitely ATI, you can do some of the others or we can share them I guess? There are quite a number of
    liveries for it but the designs are light.

Oh I almost forgot, I will making a fully detailed VC for it as well so I plan to release it with a heluva load of liveries, I guess if some of us
    team up we can make lots of em, I want to release a full working package and I also plan to make every variant of the DC-8 I have all
    the documentation for the different types and their differences........and all this will be free but I must say release is I cannot say maybe
    during the summer of 2012 but this is yanking the chain it could be longer it could be less.

Now to bed!! ZZZzzz...
    Last edited: 2/9/11
  5. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    This thread might be better off in the Showroom...

Well, once you're done with the -6x series, I'd like the source files for -7x series conversion. :D
  6. liberty1

liberty1

dominicanrepublic
    I cant help noticing that we have a lot in common only that you have a lot more modeling expierience then me. I liked you ATI repaint very nice and well painted. I can tell everything is done by hand.

Il PM you with links to my work and il add my skype in there so we can chat more often. It is truly a pleasure to meet you. I must bow then in honor to your work.
  7. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    Here is some info that might wet your appetite...

HISTORY:
    First Flight (DC-8-10) 30 May 1958
    (DC-8-71) April 1982
    (DC-8-72) 5 December 1981
    (DC-8-73) 4 March 1982
    Service Entry

September 1959 (with Delta Air Lines and United Airlines)

CREW: three flight crew: pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer

PASSENGERS: (DC-8-10) 179
    (DC-8-50) 189
    (DC-8-63) 259

ESTIMATED COST:

unknown

AIRFOIL SECTIONS:
    Wing Root DSMA-277/-280
    Wing Tip

DSMA-281

DIMENSIONS:
    Length (DC-8-10) 150.50 ft (45.90 m)
    (DC-8-62) 157.42 ft (47.97 m)
    (DC-8-63) 187.42 ft (57.12 m)
    Wingspan (DC-8-10) 148.42 ft (45.24 m)
    (DC-8-62) 154.42 ft (47.07 m)
    Height 42.42 ft (12.93 m)
    Wing Area 2,927 ft² (271.92 m²)
    Canard Area

not applicable

WEIGHTS:
    Empty (DC-8-63) 153,750 lb (69,740 kg)
    (DC-8-73) 166,500 lb (75,500 kg)
    Normal Takeoff unknown
    Max Takeoff (DC-8-63) 350,000 lb (158,760 kg)
    (DC-8-73) 355,000 lb (161,025 kg)
    Fuel Capacity internal: unknown
    external: not applicable
    Max Payload

(DC-8-10) 34,360 lb (15,585 kg)
    (DC-8-63F/CF) 116,000 lb (52.615 kg)
    (DC-8-73) 105,820 lb (48,000 kg)

PROPULSION:
    Powerplant (DC-8-10) four Pratt & Whitney JT3C-6 turbojets
    (DC-8-30) four Pratt & Whitney JT4A-9 turbojets
    (DC-8-40) four Rolls-Royce Conway 509 turbofans
    (DC-8-63) four Pratt & Whitney JT3D-7 turbofans
    (DC-8-73) four General Electric/SNECMA CFM56-2-C1 turbofans
    Thrust (DC-8-10) 54,000 lb (240.21 kN)
    (DC-8-30) 67,200 lb (298.93 kN)
    (DC-8-40) 70,000 lb (311.39 kN)
    (DC-8-63) 76,000 lb (338.08 kN)
    (DC-8-73) 88,000 lb (391.46 kN)

PERFORMANCE:
    Max Level Speed at altitude: 600 mph (965 km/h)
    at sea level: unknown
    cruise speed: 525 mph (840 km/h)
    Initial Climb Rate unknown
    Service Ceiling unknown
    Range (DC-8-10) 4,160 nm (7,710 km)
    (DC-8-63) 3,905 nm (7,240 km)
    (DC-8-73) 4,830 nm (8,950 km)
    g-Limits unknown

KNOWN VARIANTS:
    DC-8 Series 10 Initial production model; 2 built
    DC-8 Series 20 Similar to Series 10 but with more powerful engines for operation in hot or high-altitude conditions; 49 built
    DC-8 Series 30 Long-range model and first designed for intercontinental operations; 52 built
    DC-8 Series 40 Similar to Series 30 but equipped with more powerful Rolls-Royce engines; 29 built
    DC-8 Series 50 Improved model with more powerful engines and revised cabin layout allowing 10 additional passengers to be seated, also featured new wing leading edge that reduced drag improving speed and range; 162 built
    DC-8AF Jet Traders Freighter model of Series 50
    DC-8CF Jet Traders Convertible cargo/passenger model of Series 50
    DC-8 Super 60 Generic designation for three new models described below, all three available in passenger only (DC-8-6_), cargo only (DC-8-6_F), or combination cargo/passenger (DC-8-6_CF) variants; 262 built
    DC-8 Super 61 Enlarged model with extended fuselage for up to 259 passengers
    DC-8 Super 62 Long-range model with lengthened fuselage for greater fuel capacity but still carrying 189 passengers, also featured larger wingspan
    DC-8 Super 63 Final production model combining enlarged fuselage of the Super 61 with new wing and other aerodynamic improvements of the Super 62
    DC-8 Super 71 Super 61 airframes equipped with new more fuel efficient GE/SNECMA turbofans allowing much improved range and meeting noise regulations
    DC-8 Super 72 Super 62 airframes equipped with new engines
    DC-8 Super 73 Super 63 airframes equipped with new engines
    EC-24 Former United Airlines DC-8-54F modified to simulate enemy communications and control systems and used by the US Navy; 1 converted

KNOWN OPERATORS:
    Civil Absa Cargo
    AECA
    Aeral
    Aero del Peru
    Aeromar Airlines
    Aéromaritime
    Aeromexico
    Aeronaves del Peru
    Aero Peru
    Aerouruguay
    Aer Turas Teoranta
    Affretair
    African Air Charter
    African International Airways
    Agro Air International
    Air Afrique
    Air Algerie
    Airborne Express
    Air Canada
    Air Cargo Spain
    Air d'Evasions
    Air Evasion
    Air France
    Air Gabon
    Air Gabon Cargo
    Air India
    Airlift International
    Air New Zealand
    Air Outre Mer (AOM)
    Air Spain
    Air Sweden
    Air Transport International (ATI)
    Air Zaire
    Alitalia
    Americana Colombia
    American International
    American Jet Industries
    Analinda Airlines
    Andes Airlines
    Apisa Air Cargo
    Arax Airlines
    ARCA Colombia
    Arnaflug
    Arrow Air
    ATC Colombia
    Aviaco
    Batch Air
    Bax Global
    Braniff Airways
    Buffalo Airways
    Burlington Air Express
    Cam Air International
    Cameroon Airlines
    Canarias Cargo
    Capitol Air International
    Cargo Lion
    Cargolux
    CargOman
    Cargosur
    Concord International
    Conner Air Lines
    Continental Cargo Airlines
    Contract Cargo Airlines
    Cougar Air Cargo International
    CP Air
    CTA Espana
    Cubana
    Cygnus Air
    Cyprus Airways
    Delta Air Lines
    Eagle Air
    Eastern Airlines
    Emery Worldwide Airlines
    Evergreen International Airlines
    Excelair
    Faucett Peru
    Fine Air
    Florida West International Airlines
    Flying Tiger Line
    Fuerza Aerea del Peru
    Garuda Indonesia
    German Cargo
    IAS Cargo Airlines
    Iberia
    Icelandair
    Imperial Airlines
    Interamericana de Aviacion
    Intercontinental Airlines
    Hawaiian Air
    Japan Air Lines
    Jet Aviation
    Jet Fret
    Kalitta American International
    Kitty Hawk International
    KLM - Royal Dutch Airlines
    LAC Colombia
    Lan Chile
    Liberia World Airlines
    Lignes Aeriennes Congolaises
    Loftleidir
    Maldives International
    MAS Air Cargo
    Million Air
    Minerve
    MK Airlines
    MK Cargo
    Murray Air
    Nationair Canada
    National Airlines
    Omega Air
    Overseas International Airways
    Panair do Brazil
    Pan American World Airways (Pan Am)
    Philippine Airlines
    Point Air Mulhouse
    Pomair Ostend
    Quebecair
    Response Air
    Rosenbalm Aviation
    SAS Scandinavian Airlines
    Saudia
    Scanair
    Seaboard World
    Secmafair Aviation
    Southern Air Transport
    Spantax
    Swissair
    Summit Philippines
    Surinam Airways
    Tampa Colombia
    Thai International
    TMC Airlines
    TPI International Airways
    Trabajos Aereos y Enlaces (TAE)
    Trafe
    Transafrik
    Transamerica
    Trans Canada
    Trans Caribbean
    Trans Continental Airlines
    Trans International
    Transmeridian Air Cargo
    Transportes Charter do Brasil
    Transports Aériens Intercontinentaux (TAI)
    Transvalair
    Union Aéromaritime de Transport (UAT)
    United African Airlines
    United Air Carriers
    United Airlines
    United Parcel Service (UPS)
    UTA
    Varig
    Viasa
    Wien Air Alaska
    World Airways
    Zaire International Cargo
    Zambia Airways
    Zantop International Airlines
    Zuliana de Aviacion
    Government/Military France, Armée de l'Air (French Air Force)
    Gabon, Armée de l'Air Gabonaise (Gabon Air Force)
    Spain, Ejército del Aire Española (Spanish Air Force)
    Togo, Force Aérienne Togolaise (Togolese Air Force)
    United States (US Navy)

Look at the known operators... yes we have SEVERAL liveries to paint when this is done, lol.

Note that I'm starting with the largest of the models, once I have the basic fuselage model and nose and wing root,
    I will start the conversion process towards a DC-8-10, I know only two were built but I'm throwing them in there then I just
    keep ascending 20,30,40,50,60 ... modeling the different types of fuselage lengths and wing modifications. I have yet more
    documentation that explains in detail the modifications to each type as well as enough information to construct an FDE (.Air) file.

I purchased AirWrench last week, so we shall see how this massive project turns up and Liberty, when the time is right we can
    start texture, I can let you create the master textures if you like but I am more than capable for doing that. However, two heads
    are better than one! :)
    Last edited: 2/9/11
  8. liberty1

liberty1

dominicanrepublic
    I mean the upside is that I can make them with all the weathering and texturing on a global paintkit and all we have to do is repaint the liveries on them and then cut them out of the paint kit and put them in the corresponding maps. Once that is done its fast to make the liveries.

Il send you me all my contact info so we can stay more in touch.
  9. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    Ok I'm taking a break from this and going outside to breathe some air but all I can say is, I am very excited. When I started this project, I figured this was going to be one of those I lost motivation on and forgot about but I've been persistent and seize to give up on this.

[​IMG]

After all the fooling around, the darn thing starts looking like a DC-8!! Unfornately, messing around with the windows, I've screwed them up but
    with time I can fix them, I must fix them first before I attempt to complete attachment of the nose and surface around that area.

[​IMG]

Finally looking like a DC-8 nose.

[​IMG]

My lord it's finally starting to look like a DC-8. I have to keep working hard
    on this!!

Well, I am done for the day ... got some brake pads to install in my crappy 2000 chevy impala and as I said, this will give me time to see the real world and breathe in some fresh air, later folks.
  10. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    I'm no stranger to the -8. ;)

In fact a pic of a -30 or -50 graces my desktop.

If this project is to remain freeware, I could help out.
  11. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    It will be 100% freeware.
  12. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    I did a side by side comparison with a photo I found, I scaled the photo down and roated it just a bit to see if it would match with my model in gmax. To my surprise...

[​IMG]

That is awesome and the windows seem to be in place some what, I believe that the cockpit window at fault is the main front one which seems overly large.

Can somebody please pick up the later? That is a safety hazard!
  13. liberty1

liberty1

dominicanrepublic
    Nice very creative. I like how its coming out
  14. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    Last update for the night or should I say morning?

[​IMG]

Nose cone area almost fully attached, still working out the details. Cockpit windows fixed, still need more work but they have been cut out, I can cap holes them back in if anything...

The updates will slow down now, I'll work on the nose until it is completed.

To check all my work, I did the most suspense heart pounding event ... an EXPORT TEST ... you know when you work on an aircraft for a while
    and you export it only to find out you used the mirror tool instead of the mirror modifier? OUCH.

[​IMG]

The export was a success, I had sweat running down my neck when I did this [well not really but you get the idea]. I couldn't imagine starting over from scratch!!

fx out, night folks.
    Last edited: 3/9/11
  15. liberty1

liberty1

dominicanrepublic
  16. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    Excellent!

Well, if you need a hand, gimme a shout.
  17. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Fantastic work, been after a model of the DC-8 ever since I saw the Just Planes MK Airlines DVD!
  18. Mr.FaosFX

Mr.FaosFX

unitedstates
    I did not know the rear wheels swivel, very interesting! Looks like I need to stretch the small cockpit windows at the top a little higher, mine seem small and I got a first look at the wing cross-section, altho I could not get the airfoil shape, it is something I will have to guess at by looking at photos. :/ I have the airfoil profile for the elevons and tail but not for the wing if anyone can help, greatly appreciated.

I spent $25 on a cut away drawing last week, its pretty nice and has lots of detail but of the innards of the wing which, is what I hopped to see.

And finally I know what those intake holes are for at the nose, who would have thought they were the AC packs! Now I should construct them with
    honor on my model and not neglect them, it is what gives the DC-8 it's most unique appearance.
  19. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Apparently, the DC-8 series you're interested in used a proprietary system for classification of their airfoils, unlike most manufacturers who adopted the NACA system.

DSMA-277/-280 is the designation for the airfoil. A careful Google search might yield some further data, but a quick look by me didn't yield anything... :twocents:
  20. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    On the -70s, the AC intakes are partially covered up (for whatever reasons). You might want to consider this once you start with that version.

- Edit:

Look what popped up at Avsim today...

Category: Flight Simulator X - Sounds
    New! Douglas DC-8-63 P&W JT3D-7 Sound Pack ZipDive! Download

File Description:
    SkyHigh Audio Simulations is proud to present what is quite possibly the most realistic sounding Pratt & Whitney JT3D-7 Turbofan sound pack available! This sound pack is designed to work with Historic Jetliners Group's Douglas DC-8-63 model. There are two versions of this sound pack, one interior point of view from the cockpit, and the other being the passenger cabin POV in front of the engines. This sound pack includes many unique and realistic features, including realistic 3D sound cones giving a very realistic exterior sound experience, especially in the fly-by view mode. Also using the cone technology, realistic distant taxi howling and distant rumbling sounds are included. The plane could be heard loud and clear from up to 2km away in tower view! Realistic start up sounds featuring external air cart compressor howling noises are included. Realistic interior ambience noises such as the inverter noise and touchdown, flaps, gear sound with chime, and more are featured in this sound pack. Please visit our website at: www.skyhighflightsim.webs.com for more info and sound packs!

Filename: sas_fsx_dc8_jt3d7_soundpack.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 3rd September 2011
    Downloads: 138
    Author: Adam Murphy and Jesse Casserly - Skyhigh Audio Simulations
    Size: 44560kb
    Last edited: 3/9/11