1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NetPipes on FSX

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by CrashTestDummy, 11/2/10.

1. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Novice

Been reading about Netpipes which seems to work on 2002/2004
    But there is no mention about them on FSX

Do they work on FSX as well or has that all changed?

Would like my code, when I figure this all out to work on 2004 and FSX?
  2. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    My understanding is that netpipes doesn't work for FSX.

You could try using FSUIPC for sim access, as that can be used by both FS9 and FSX.

In process modules ( DLLs ) might also be coded for either sim, as they are basically C++ gauges.

Dick
  3. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Thank you,

I get the gist of it.

I’m interested in the dynamics of aircraft, and I would like to make my own autopilot, so that for example I could put my plane on autopilot and it would follow an AI plane, or a path, using my own dynamic model.

So, if I understand this, on 2004

A gauge module is a good way to track what my aircraft is doing, should I need it.

FSUIPC is a good way to get at what AI aircraft are doing, should I need it.

But if you want to “drive” your plane, netpipes seems the only way.

And this is not possible on FSX, it doesn’t have enough public API, is that correct?

What about the SimConnect utility I’ve seen mentioned, is that able to “drive” your plane externally?

Should I develop this on 2004 or FSX, I think that’s the first question?

I do realize that there is a dynamic model for an aircraft built in AIR files etc, and I have read that netpipes are quite sophisticated, if you give it just speed, FS guesses the other dynamics, but that doesn’t help if one is interested in modeling and testing models for accuracy.

As a matter of interest, how do people validate the aircraft model dynamics now?

Nice tool if possible.
  4. Manuel Ambulo

Manuel Ambulo

panama
    Hey Crash,

If you plan in making your own autopilot, i *STRONGLY* recommend you to make a gauge...or an In-process DLL (this are very similar to a gauge..since a gauge is a special DLL but with the GAU extension instead.). The gauge will allow you to keep track of what your aircraft (User's aircraft, not AI), is doing, and in REAL-TIME. Additionally, you can code your gauge, to allow it to use the SimConnect interface, for let you "drive" some others parameters, however, from the gauge itself (and also without Simconnect), you can send information to your aircraft (User's aircraft)...you can make tests...the PROs or advantages of making a gauge (or an IN PROCESS DLL) is that your program (gauge) will receive/send the information from/to the Flight Simulator in REAL-TIME..this means **NO** PING/LATENCY DELAYs or whatsoever that implies working real-time programs over a network....The DOWN-SIDE of making an external program (in another computer) to connect to your FS (2004/X) is that you have to deal with LATENCY (PING) DELAYs..and so on...

SimConnect allows you to connect to a Flight Simulator locally (both your app/program and FSX running under the same computer) or remotely, (from another computer)..in other words it's like FSUIPC, the difference resides that simConnect is *ONLY* for FSX and FSUIPC works in both FS2004/FSX.

For example: I already made some SimConnects apps, and i already successfully did this:

1) Computer "A": Having my SimConnect's based program (not having installed FSX). However, i installed "SimConnect" to allow my program to run on this computer.

2) Computer "B": Having FSX running...

I successfully did connected my program in Computer "A" to computer "B". Now my program is able to "drive" an AI aircraft or send any information to the Flight Simulator X (FSX) on Computer "B" via SimConnect. This can be done in a LAN (local network) as well over the Internet.

That's an example of what you can do with SimConnect.

For more details see more about "SimConnect.xml", "SimConnect.ini", and "SimConnect.cfg" at the very beginning of the FSX SDK (under the "SimConnect" section)...

Hope this helps to let you understand more about SimConnect...

Manuel
    Last edited: 18/2/10
  5. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Were where you 7 days ago, I’m now an XPlane guy… J

Just feathering your propeller… it’s more like where were you 7 days ago because I’ve just built my own FSUIPC and I’m almost done with my version of SimConnect ;)

By the time I figured out what the sparse SDK was trying to tell me, I’d already rebuilt half of FS… ha ha

Your enthusiasm is contagious; I got the same bug… coders paradise… I make something and don’t mind testing it for hours ;)

Something that may interest you, you can get and inject all the gauge properties directly into the FS pipe, so turns out I got lucky.

FS is like a big video machine and you can change the movie as it plays, I’m totally FScinated.

I’m not sure where this is going, but I think it means yet another FS toy is coming, or I could just be making a really bad version of FSUIPC… more likely ha ha

I did manage to find some info on gauges and I think you right, it’s a good interface, thing is it’s too late, I’m way outside MS’s SDK box now… its fun!

Is the tool you made out there on the web?

Thanks…

Now if anyone sees my wife, email her name to me, I’ve forgotten it :)