1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AI Flight Planning Tool

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by gadgets, 6/3/08.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    AI Flight Planner, a new, comprehensive AI flight planning tool is ready for beta testing.

AI Flight Planner provides all the facilities necessary to create, develop, edit and maintain AI traffic flight plans for both the FS9 and FSX versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS). It includes an embedded compiler/decompiler. Hence, AI Flight Planner can use either TTools-format .txt files or compiled MSFS traffic .bgl files as “source code” for flight plans and airports – or the user may create one or both “from scratch”. AI Flight Planner provides its own airport data.

In addition to the features expected in any flight planning tool, AI Flight planner:
    • appends data from additional flight plan and aircraft files to that already loaded; data from TTools-format and traffic files may be mixed;
    • has a leg-oriented flight plan editor that handles daily and weekly traffic in an identical manner
    • permits entry of arrival and departure times based on any time zone;
    • generates traffic files for only a user-specified subset of the airports included in a flight plans; and
    • includes in the compiled traffic file only the airport and aircraft information used by the included flight plans, thus reducing system overhead.
    Thus, it is possible with AI Flight Planner to maintain comprehensive airline-based flight plan files and one or more master aircraft files, and generate from those files efficient AI traffic files pertaining to only a region or single airport

If you are interested in testing this initial release, it may be downloaded from http://members.shaw.ca/cyyj2007-2/AI%20Flight%20Planner%20v01.zip. The download includes notes for beta testers.

At this stage, I would discourage use of AI Flight Planner other than for testing purposes.

Thanks for your interest,
    Don
  2. Difar

Difar

us-ohio
    Don

Just d/l and fired up your new software.

After adding an aircraft and selecting a "Starts at Airport" I get the following error: Net error.JPG

Detail of the report as follows:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "##" to type 'Date' is not valid.
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDate(String Value)
    at WindowsApplication1.FlightPlanner.AdjustTime(String strTime, Double nCorr)
    at WindowsApplication1.FlightPlanner.GetLegDistanceAndETA()
    at WindowsApplication1.FlightPlanner.tbBase_LostFocus(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnLostFocus(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    FP Manipulator
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Flight%20Sim%20Apps/AI%20Flight%20Planner/AI%20Flight%20Planner.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box. :confused:

If I were to select any other box or data entry, the error pops right back up.

Any additional info needed, just ask.
  3. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Hi Don,

Good thing to finally see it out in the wild :)

I get stuck directly at the beginning. I have completed all fields (at least I think I do), but still I can not add the leg to the flight plan. No matter what I do the Add Leg button stays disabled.

Where am I being stupid?
  4. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Hi Divar,

What Regional Country setting do you use?
  5. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks, guys.

Difar, it would appear that departure time had not been set. The program should have detected this. It didn't (but now does).

Martin, just found a stupid coding error. The program won't let you add a new leg unless there's at least one leg already in the Leg List. If you load an existing flightplan, however, you should be able to add legs to it.

Re regional settings, I've tried to make the program very tolerant in this regard. You should be able to use almost anything for separators - except for decimal points in numbers. Do you have a specific problem?

I'll get an update out later today, once see what else 'surfaces".

Don
  6. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    So the comma as the decimal separator is valid (like 1000,10) ?

Everything else would be bad news for your 98.3 Million German, Swiss and Austrian users :D
  7. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    I assumed that will be looked after by the regional settings. But, I'll check and, if it's not, I'll make it valid.

Don
  8. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    The next beta version of AI Flight Planner should be available tomorrow (Mar 08). I had hoped to have it up later today, but I've had to do some major rework in the generation of airport lists. The next release will have an airport list generator.
    Thanks for being patient.

Don
  9. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
  10. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Hi Don,

some observations.

I tried to open a FSX bgl, while the day encoding setting on the tool interface was saying FS9.

The decompilation was stopped with the remark that the encoding setting was wrong. Maybe the better thing to do here would be to just switch the setting automatically?

I then changed that setting and tried to load the bgl again. I was informed that this could not be done because the file flightplan.txt in the folder work is in use by another process - I guess by the tool itself.

The next restart worked well. Now I have a self created overlay airport which the tool does not know (asking: "contains an airport not in the AirportList.dat. Continue?").
    I say Yes and will be asked again for the next occurrences. This should be more like I say yes once and program will keep this decision for this airport.

I still can not add a leg when starting a flight plan from scratch.

Now for the good things. This is all looking extremely good and I have the strong feeling that this could become THE flight planning tool.
  11. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks, Martin. I'll fix those and re-release ASAP (including the new airport list generator.) Re the inability to create a new FP leg from scratch, was the button disabled or was the new leg just not accepted?

Don
  12. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    The button was disabled, so I have no way of knowing if it would have been accepted :)
  13. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks, I thought I had fixed that problem completely. Obviously, there's a path I didn't notice.

Don
  14. flynby

flynby

us-texas
    When trying to add new airport in either FS2004 or FSX, after typing in
    Latitude as N32:37.9262, I press tab to go to Longitude window. The coordinates disappear. I have the selection DD:MM.mm. Also tried 32:37.9262 knowing this is incorrect-but. Again, it disappears.
    FSX is on Vista Home operating system, and FS2004 Windows XP.

Also, when opening AI Flight Planner, I select FlightPlanner\New. Go to Start at Airport and type in the Airport ID I have assigned.
    FP Manipulator Window opens up asking if I want to add this. Click Yes.
    Airport editor open up and is seen behind initial window. Asked again if I
    would like to add airport. Again, click Yes. Again, asked if like to add
    and again yes. Then the Airport Editor window is available. This happens
    on both FS2004 and FSX.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Appreciate any help on this.
  15. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Flynby, I must have inadvertently introduced the first error you mentioned in the current version. It will be fixed tonight.

Re the second problem, I have no control over the "layering" of dialogs. However, the next release will make the airport editor modal, so that only one airport editor window is open at a time.

Thanks for testing,
    Don
  16. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
  17. MoToCroSs986

MoToCroSs986

Get Airports

I tried using the get airports, but the select button was not working.

What is the format for the Dep time. I put in 2030 and got an error, of Dep time not valid.

I have the time zone thing figured thanks.
    missed it on first reading

Thanks

Glenn
    Last edited: 11/3/08
  18. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    What do you man by the "select" button?

Time format is the same as TTools - "hh:mm" (including the colon).

Don
  19. MoToCroSs986

MoToCroSs986

Ah colons cool....that will help.

The select buttons are greyed out and don't work. Am I supposed to enter a file location?

When running GetAirports.exe
    Last edited: 11/3/08
  20. MoToCroSs986

MoToCroSs986

Another newbie ? What do you enter for if you what an Alt. of 15,000 feet. I tried 15, 150, 1500, 15000 and recieved and error.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.