• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New airport..New headaches!

Country
swaziland
Firstly hello everyone!I am a first time scenery designer and currently starting the process of creating luton airport :)
Im modeling in gmax as i have found it quite easy to use once u know how, i have just looked throught lots of threads in the past 10 hours on here (u do have a vast ammount of info) but could not find a solution to my problem :(

basically im just trying to get the satellite image to show in fs2004 at the moment.(image included) the way i have designed it is 4 rectngles in gmax each having a 1024bmp on it, put together to form the base image. i export it as a an scenery mdl to a destination and use bglcomp to make the bgl... the coordinate im using are "n51 52.64 w0 22.09" which i think is correct but no avail as the sat still could not be seen, i have tried the same technique whith a simple cylinder and yet still see no object, very frustrating!

im sure theres a step i have missed or somthing ive overlooked, not hard when its all new to you im sure u will agree, your help is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• gmax1.jpg
    gmax1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 415
Country
swaziland
Ok, seems the forum is quiet right now :) but have no fear i sussed it, my xml code was wrong :rolleyes: . But with one problem solved lies another, my nice new flickering ground textures...now this is where i really will be stuck i have no knowlege of bglc and flattening of areas like some of the posts i have read have suggested :confused:but the transfer of mdl files into fs9 is all sorted, so ill just get on with some stuff meanwhile!

cheers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Ground polygons can not really be made with the FS2004 MDL format. Check out this Wiki article to see how to make them with the FS2002 gamepack for best results.

Country
swaziland
Cheers for the reply, yea i did read this earlier i unfortunately sold my fs2002 :eek: thinking id never need it! i have however tried to grasp the idea of tweaking the asm files with the mdlcommander. unfortunately i cannot get the asm files when i compile the mdl:confused: ive changed the old make mdl and renamed the mdl commander (in the gmax plugins folder correct?) but i see no files. i have the bglc9 to recompile the model but first i need to get over this little problem :rolleyes: i hope im correct in the way i think this works as ive never done it before..if so the tweaks that i need to apply will be to disable the shadow and set the background image priority to 8?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

With the MDLCommander route you need the following. You install MDLCommander in your FS2004 gamepack. That means you rename that MakeMDL version (including the parts XML file). Then you make a config file for MDLCommander as explained in the documentation to keep the X file during export.

That X file you have to run manually through the FS2002 MakeMDL, which you can download from MS. In there you need to check the keep files option to keep the ASM source files.

After that you can apply the tweaks of the article.