1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ALSF-2 approach light test

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by bluedevil6, 6/1/05.

1. bluedevil6

bluedevil6

southkorea
    Hi, all. This is my first post in this site. :) I'm making 2005 version of my Inchoen Intl Airport(RKSI, Korea) scenery. I finally succedded in making the custom ALSF-2 approach light system using Gmax after several attempt. I used precision approach terrain chart of RKSI to align lights and poles. So it has almost same dimension of real one's.

overview of ALSF-2...White dot in the middle is the strobe light running into runway which is made by Gmax animation.
    [​IMG]

Adopting Arno's comment, it is bright during day time.
    [​IMG]

Currently it doesn't have textures...with only lights.
    [​IMG]

I created lights by LIGHT_NAV prefix in Gmax. It has almost same visual range of default runway lights. (about 6~7nm)
    [​IMG]

This is test movie...Now I'm making custom runway markings so runway is still gray by absence of textures.

Thanks for all helpful tips and tutorials in this site. You can download and preview RKSI scenery in my homepage. Thanks :)

Yunjin Lee
    http://flyfreesky.com
    Last edited: 6/1/05
  2. ei6265

ei6265

unitedkingdom
    Looks great!

Well done! :)
  3. xbuddy

xbuddy

indonesia
    wow...
    thats what iam looking for...

can you teach me how to make an approach lights? especially for ILS/ papi lights.

how many object u use for all light?
  4. bluedevil6

bluedevil6

southkorea
    Thanks for your comments...:)

Sorry...I made only approach light. I didn't make PAPI light. But I'll try it. :)
    My ALSF-2 light uses about 3,500 polygons. I don't have any framerate
    drop un to now.
  5. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    Wow!

Forgive me for being so late in seeing this...

Very cool video Yunjin! The ground-level shots look so real.
  6. Sean_E

Sean_E

Very nice work bluedevil. I have been working on my own version of the different approach light setups.

Would it be a hassle for you to explain how you set it up in Gmax as well as what section or sections of the ASM file you tweaked to get your lights to look so good? Myself (as well as others) could really benefit from your findings and experience.

Once again, a VERY excellent job on those approach lights and thanx in advance.

Sean E.
  7. Horst18519

Horst18519 Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

germany
    How did you do the PAPI? And how did you tweak the asm so the lights can only be visible from the front?
  8. knnygar

knnygar

norway
    Any luck with this yet?

I have made some "running rabbit" approach lights with effects in Gmax.
    But I have not been able to make them directional yet.

I also want to make PLASI and PAPI lights the same way, but I guess I need to switch to Light_nav to get this to work?
  9. M_Dutchman

M_Dutchman

netherlands
    Hi,

Yes you need to switch to the Nav_Light command. That's the easiest way. After creating the full system you have to tweak the ASM using the separation_plane code line to make it show only one direction (search the forum for how to do this). I think it will possible to use this command for PAPI lights, but it will be very, very difficult.

TO ARNO: I believe you or one of the team members have created PAPI's for EHAM in NL-2000. Is it possible that you share this code with us or?....

Regards,
    Maarten
  10. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    I started with one, but I never really finished it. The PAPI in the scenery at the moment is just the one of the default runway.

PS. Please do not start discussions in this thread. Open a new thread in the discussion forums if you have questions, not here in the showroom.